* Thoughts on GitHub Discussions?
@ 2020-12-10 23:09 christi...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found] ` <4487d88e-2d0d-4288-a8c4-d616ea6364d3n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: christi...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2020-12-10 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Too early to think about replacing Google Groups here, but I think it would
be nice to have an alternative to the issue tracker on GitHub directly,
which might help having less spam on the issue tracker.

* Re: Thoughts on GitHub Discussions?
       [not found] ` <4487d88e-2d0d-4288-a8c4-d616ea6364d3n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-12-11  1:16   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2y2i55eh4.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-12-11  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: christi...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org, pandoc-discuss

"christi...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org" <christian.kolen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Too early to think about replacing Google Groups here, but I think it would
> be nice to have an alternative to the issue tracker on GitHub directly,
> which might help having less spam on the issue tracker.

Isn't it still in beta?

One big drawback is that you would need a GitHub account to
contribute.

By contrast, it's possible to ask a question using this group
without signing up for a new account.  You can even do it by
sending an email.

@ 2020-12-11  3:52       ` christi...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found]         ` <2c30ea40-becc-4b98-9145-9321f1e03fbdn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: christi...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2020-12-11  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Yes, so as I said it is too early to think about replacing Google Groups.
It is more of a supplement, especially for those who don't know this Google
Groups exists and may spam the issue trackers instead.

*May be* it is ok to test run and see how useful it is, *or not* because
that might causes too much confusions...

@ 2020-12-11 16:16           ` jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found]             ` <2ccdb2b3-02dd-43be-8368-4ecd97e60133n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2020-12-11 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Please don’t create more than one place for discussion. I’m happy to do
either Google groups or a discourse server, but not both.

On Thursday, 10 December 2020 at 22:52:42 UTC-5 christi...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org wrote:

> Yes, so as I said it is too early to think about replacing Google Groups.
> It is more of a supplement, especially for those who don't know this Google
> Groups exists and may spam the issue trackers instead.
>
> *May be* it is ok to test run and see how useful it is, *or not* because
> that might causes too much confusions...
>
> On Thursday, December 10, 2020 at 5:16:57 PM UTC-8 John MacFarlane wrote:
>
>> "christi...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org" <christi...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>
>> > Too early to think about replacing Google Groups here, but I think it
>> would
>> > be nice to have an alternative to the issue tracker on GitHub directly,
>> > which might help having less spam on the issue tracker.
>>
>> Isn't it still in beta?
>>
>> One big drawback is that you would need a GitHub account to
>> contribute.
>>
>> By contrast, it's possible to ask a question using this group
>> without signing up for a new account. You can even do it by
>> sending an email.

* AW: Thoughts on GitHub Discussions?
       [not found]             ` <2ccdb2b3-02dd-43be-8368-4ecd97e60133n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-12-11 16:17               ` denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ
       [not found]                 ` <cc7d3cbbe0b2406c99864a3099c4f32b-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ @ 2020-12-11 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Yes, too many places would be a bad idea.

"christi...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org<mailto:christi...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>" <christi...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org<mailto:christi...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>> writes:

@ 2020-12-11 16:56               ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-12-11 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org, pandoc-discuss

"jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org" <jmuccigr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Please don’t create more than one place for discussion. I’m happy to do
> either Google groups or a discourse server, but not both.

That's my instinct too.  Once the feature is out of Beta, maybe
we could consider it.  But I do see some potential drawbacks:

1) as noted, requires a GitHub login
2) less easy to work with via email, which some may prefer
3) unless there's some way to import the discussion threads from
   a google group, we lose the history on this list (or at least
   it becomes less obvious)

* Re: AW: Thoughts on GitHub Discussions?
       [not found]                 ` <cc7d3cbbe0b2406c99864a3099c4f32b-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-12-11 17:09                   ` TRS-80
       [not found]                     ` <62092b301d5ef77ae51005a669f7e8f6-C7oIis/24ff2zvSPaPeTFA@public.gmane.org>
From: TRS-80 @ 2020-12-11 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ

On 2020-12-11 11:17, denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ@public.gmane.org wrote:
> Please don’t create more than one place for discussion. I’m happy
> to do either Google groups or a discourse server, but not both.

>> On Thursday, December 10, 2020 at 5:16:57 PM UTC-8 John MacFarlane
>> wrote:
>>
>>> One big drawback is that you would need a GitHub account to
>>> contribute.
>>>
>>> By contrast, it's possible to ask a question using this group
>>> without signing up for a new account. You can even do it by sending
>>> an email.

In addition to excellent points others already made, I personally do not
think that, just because Microsoft is in full swing on their
"Extend"[0] phase, that we[1] need to oblige them in any way...

In fact moving discussion from mailing list format (which is quite open
and standardized) onto a proprietary platform[2] would be a huge step
backwards IMO, for all reasons already mentioned, and more.

Cheers,
TRS-80

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend,_and_extinguish

[1] I use the royal "we" liberally, as I am quite new member on this
list.

[2] I am aware the irony the mailing list is hosted at Google Groups;
however I consider this an just implementation detail; as John already
pointed out, you can still interact in the "normal" way without
requiring a Google account (this is what I do in fact).

@ 2020-12-11 21:37                       ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2020-12-11 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ

I think as long as the mentality is to replace Google Groups with GitHub Discussions, we should just stop even considering GitHub discussions. It currently is not such a replacement, and will never be.

Regarding email use, I have all the GitHub notifications directed to my email too. So I can see how many spam there are from the pandoc issue tracker. Not a lot, but not negligible.

Historically pandoc has Google groups, and it has been mentioned in the website this should be the de facto place for pandoc questions, but there’s also a new bleed of pandoc users that just surf over GitHub and don’t even go to pandoc.org. Those are the GitHub issue spammers.

So the mentality here is if you can’t beat them, join them. Give them a place to put non issue on GitHub directly.

@ 2020-12-12  3:10                       ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2020-12-12  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

By the way, I don’t know if you know this, but on GitHub an issue can be converted to a discussion. That’s the anti spam feature I was talking about.

@ 2020-12-12 16:09                         ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-12-12 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kolen Cheung, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Kolen Cheung <christian.kolen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> By the way, I don’t know if you know this, but on GitHub an issue can be converted to a discussion. That’s the anti spam feature I was talking about.

That's interesting, didn't know. I still think, though, that
it's probably best not to fragment discussions into two different
places.