* Interpolation in default file paths -- the current output format?
@ 2021-06-01  8:56 BPJ
       [not found] ` <CADAJKhB3zWPC_601kJYNjFO7_y2+xK1M7x_YG6AvJnRDe_BrGw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2021-06-01  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I have been thinking about the feature with `${HOME}` etc. in default file
paths. It would be good to also have `${OUTPUTFORMAT}` (or just `${FORMAT}`
like the Lua variable) so that you could do things like this:

``````yaml
defaults:
  - ${.}/defaults/${FORMAT}.yaml
``````

Filters, CSS, includes and metadata/variables come to mind as things which
often should be different based on the output format in a single-source
scenario which could be handled this way, but there probably would be other
uses which at least I can't foresee.

While there certainly are situations where you could invert this and say

``````yaml
defaults:
  - ${.}/defaults/common.yaml
``````

in `./defaults/latex.yaml` there certainly are situations where including
the format-specific file from the common file will be more intuitive.

/bpj

* Re: Interpolation in default file paths -- the current output format?
       [not found] ` <CADAJKhB3zWPC_601kJYNjFO7_y2+xK1M7x_YG6AvJnRDe_BrGw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-06-01 20:06   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-06-01 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BPJ, pandoc-discuss

You can already interpret arbitrary environment variables,
so you could do:

FORMAT=docx pandoc -t $FORMAT -d defaults

and in defaults.yaml you could have

output-file: output.${FORMAT}