* Tell pandoc to respect rst in markdown files while transforming to rst
@ 2020-08-14 14:58 BJ
       [not found] ` <d88ec922-7c61-4cbe-8599-b435540c6a9bn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: BJ @ 2020-08-14 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I have a markdown file that I want to convert to RST.
The clue is, that this *markdown* file already contains valid RST (i.e.
nested directives), i.e.

.. note::

   .. include:: /path/to/file

   Some static text also with RST-valid indention

How to tell pandoc while transforming the RST-enriched markdown to RST to
keep this indention? It seems pandoc removes (left trim) without mercy. Is
there a toggle or plugin I missed? Or could I add some magic-markup in the
source markdown?

Kind regards
BJ

* Re: Tell pandoc to respect rst in markdown files while transforming to rst
       [not found] ` <d88ec922-7c61-4cbe-8599-b435540c6a9bn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-08-14 18:15   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2eeo9jdpv.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-08-14 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BJ, pandoc-discuss

> How to tell pandoc while transforming the RST-enriched markdown to RST to
> keep this indention? It seems pandoc removes (left trim) without mercy. Is
> there a toggle or plugin I missed? Or could I add some magic-markup in the
> source markdown?

Well, that's very easy, if you're using pandoc's markdown
extensions. Just use a "raw attribute":

```{=rst}
.. note::

   .. include:: /path/to/file

   Some static text also with RST-valid indention
```

This will be passed verbatim to RST output and ignored for other
formats.

@ 2020-08-18  7:22       ` BJ
       [not found]         ` <ba94e3c9-2f4b-4a5a-bd3b-4f6886aee523n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: BJ @ 2020-08-18  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Sorry for contacting you personally. I answered via my email client before.
I hope I did it correct now.

Yes you are right, thanks. This kind of conversion works.
https://pandoc.org/try/?text=%23+markdown%0A%0A%60%60%60%7B%3Drst%7D%0A%60this+is+rst%60_%0A%60%60%60%0A&from=markdown&to=rst&standalone=0

If using Github flavoured markdown as source format, it will look
differently... I will do some more investigation on my side, to find out,
which better fits my needs.

Thanks so far!

@ 2020-08-21 18:51           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-08-21 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BJ, pandoc-discuss

If you're using the most recent version of pandoc, you should be
able to do

pandoc -f gfm+raw_attribute

and get support for the raw attribute syntax.