* LaTeX Writer: Compact Paragraph followed by List
@ 2021-04-12 22:42 0alph...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found] ` <28f8d3eb-161e-401c-a2cf-ac3692b0c780n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 0alph...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2021-04-12 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Pandoc has compact lists, which use the template-defined \tightlist macro.
(https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/pull/1571)

Is there a way to compact this further, by changing the generated tex like
so?

Current:
Text Plus List, Loose

\begin{itemize}
% etc

Desired:
Text Plus List, Compact
\begin{itemize}
% etc

* Re: LaTeX Writer: Compact Paragraph followed by List
       [not found] ` <28f8d3eb-161e-401c-a2cf-ac3692b0c780n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-04-13  2:48   ` Matt Jolly
       [not found]     ` <52c442e8-a14f-40b4-9c9d-3eb40dee9be6n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Matt Jolly @ 2021-04-13  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm not quite sure if I follow; do you want to remove whitespace in the
generated TeX, or are you concerned with the spacing between lists and
paras when the TeX is parsed?

@ 2021-04-13 21:03       ` 0alph...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found]         ` <04f11d46-7936-407e-bb32-175a68731a75n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 0alph...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2021-04-13 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Well, Pandoc parses the following:

Text Plus List, Compact
- List Item

into a Paragraph Node, followed by a List Node, for which the LaTeX writer
outputs the snippet above.

What I'm concerned with is the final output, but the whitespace added by
the writer is significant in that it represents a new *LaTeX* Paragraph,
and this is what adds the extra space in the generated output. This is
confirmed by the AST JSON dump, and compilation of MWEs with the above
snippets.

So the real question is: "Is there a way to get this input parsed in a way
such that LaTeX will emit them as one paragraph unit?"

@ 2021-04-13 22:01   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-04-13 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 0alph...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org, pandoc-discuss

Sorry, no.  I do understand that this is a distinction one
sometimes wants to make (intra-paragraph list or blockquote
vs new paragraph), and that tex allows you to make, but currently
pandoc can't represent the difference.

@ 2021-04-13 22:09           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-04-13 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 0alph...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org, pandoc-discuss

"0alph...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org" <0alphadelta-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Well, Pandoc parses the following:
>
> Text Plus List, Compact
> - List Item
>
> into a Paragraph Node, followed by a List Node, for which the LaTeX writer
> outputs the snippet above.
>
> What I'm concerned with is the final output, but the whitespace added by
> the writer is significant in that it represents a new *LaTeX* Paragraph,
> and this is what adds the extra space in the generated output. This is
> confirmed by the AST JSON dump, and compilation of MWEs with the above
> snippets.
>
> So the real question is: "Is there a way to get this input parsed in a way
> such that LaTeX will emit them as one paragraph unit?"

Yes, and that's the question I was answering in my response
before. The answer, unfortunately, is no.