* Removing parentheses around citations in footnotes
@ 2020-10-29 13:01 bdh
       [not found] ` <79730796-d2f6-4174-81fd-fcf12472c5c3n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: bdh @ 2020-10-29 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello, all,

I would like to be able to remove the parentheses around my citations when
they're in footnotes. I'm writing in Markdown and converting to PDF using
Chicago full-note style.

For example, it is common for me to write a footnote like this:

[^history]: For a more complete history of how the category of social or
structural sin developed in Catholic magisterial teaching, see
[@pfeil2002]. For a thematic presentation, see [@finn2016, 139--42].

Right now, that renders: "...see (Margaret Pfeil, [etc., etc.])." I would
like to remove those outer parentheses. There are a number of other similar
use cases. There are occasional cases where I do want the parentheses, but
I am happy to produce those manually—i.e., by writing "...as has been amply
documented ([@whatever1990])."

This might be a question of my template or CSL file rather than pandoc, but
I figured I'd start here. Thank you for any help!

Brian

* Re: Removing parentheses around citations in footnotes
       [not found] ` <79730796-d2f6-4174-81fd-fcf12472c5c3n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-10-29 13:59   ` 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]     ` <2056c8b9-a10e-16aa-599b-c6806346b107-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss @ 2020-10-29 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

this should work:

[^history]: For a more complete history of how the category of social or
structural sin developed in Catholic magisterial teaching, see
@pfeil2002. For a thematic presentation, see @finn2016, 139--42.

I.e., just remove the brackets.

Best,
Denis

@ 2020-10-29 15:12       ` Brian Hamilton
From: Brian Hamilton @ 2020-10-29 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thank you, Denis! I didn’t realize I could do that. But that seems only to move the author’s name outside of the parentheses, rather than eliminating them altogether. So now the same citation renders thus:

“…see Margaret Pfeil (“Title,” Source, etc.)."

In this particular case, that works fine. But in other use cases it’s still a problem. For example, a note like this:

[^note]: Habermas makes a similar point in -@habermas1985, ch 2.

Is rendered like this:

Habermas makes a similar point in (The Theory of Communicative Action, [etc.]).

Perhaps I’m just trying to integrate my citations into the flow of writing in a way that can’t be supported here?

—
Brian Hamilton
Assistant Professor of Religion
Director, College Honors Program
Florida Southern College

To book an appointment: https://bdhamilton.com/contact/

@ 2020-10-29 17:27   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2eelhrlh7.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-10-29 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bdh, pandoc-discuss

An idiomatic way to do this would be not to use a footnote, but
to use prefixes and suffixes in your citation:

[for a more complete history of how the category
of social or structuarl sin developed..., see @pfeil2002.
For a thematic presnetation, see @finn2016, 139--42].

In a footnote style, like chicago-fullnote, this will be
put into a footnote automatically.

But the advantage is that you could easily switch to another
citation style.

@ 2020-10-30  1:04       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <m2imasr0c4.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-10-30  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bdh, pandoc-discuss

Funny, I'm just running into this problem myself, preparing
something for publication with a note style!

I see what you mean, the parentheses are really not what
you want in this case.

On the other hand, a comma isn't ALWAYS what you want
either.

I need to think harder about  what to do here.

@ 2020-10-30  8:57           ` 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]             ` <9cb0dd01-87be-baf9-c9f6-de8b5dac6671-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss @ 2020-10-30  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, John MacFarlane, bdh

Well, some thoughts about this complex of problems:

In simple cases, one can always resort to the syntax you've posted in
your other mail:

[for a more complete history of how the category
of social or structuarl sin developed..., see @pfeil2002.
For a thematic presnetation, see @finn2016, 139--42].

But that is not really convenient when using more complex narrative
footnotes. Also, you may want to have the citation always appear in a
note, regardless of citation style. So, I think there should be a way to
handle this problem.

Then, style guides may differ in what they prescribe for such citations.
In Chicago note styles these should just be rendered without any special
formatting, no affixes and such (I think this is what citeproc-js does
currently). In Chicago author date styles they are rendered just as in
text citations. Other note styles may require citations in notes to
appear in parentheses. These kind of distinctions introduce a fair
amount of complexity. For CSL this is especially problematic: CSL aims
to enable seemless switching between different citation styles.

Biblatex uses a different approach here: it first defines the basic
macros (cite), with more complex ones being built top of that (textcite,
parencite, autocite,  smartcite, etc.). So here, a user can use style
agnostic commands (autocite) together with commands that make sense in a
specific citation.

The problem has been discussed in the CSL community before, but there's
not really a solution at the moment, see e.g.
https://github.com/citation-style-language/schema/issues/365

You could perhaps add a new citation mode "bare" or "plain" of these
kind of requirements. I citation with this mode would be rendered as a
default citation, but it would be rendered without the affixes, and it
wouldn't be wrapped in a footnote. (But what should happen with these
citations when switching from a note style to an in-text style?)

Best,
Denis

@ 2020-10-30 12:22               ` Brian Hamilton
From: Brian Hamilton @ 2020-10-30 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, John MacFarlane, Denis Maier

John and Denis: thanks for giving this some thought! This is all far, far beyond my technical competence, but I’ll watch the discussion with interest.

Brian

@ 2020-10-30 14:52   ` 'Nick Bart' via pandoc-discuss
From: 'Nick Bart' via pandoc-discuss @ 2020-10-30 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Though using citations with, possibly long, prefixes and suffixes rather than footnotes in the markdown source seems to work very well in most cases, there is one problem that makes getting the exact same output format as the one requested in the original post impossible: citations have to be separated by a semicolon, and if they aren’t, the output becomes garbled. Technically, this isn’t a bug (the pandoc manual: “Markdown citations go inside square brackets and are separated by semicolons”), but I wonder whether this requirement could be relaxed.

* Re: Removing parentheses around citations in footnotes
@ 2020-10-30 16:40     ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]       ` <m27dr7r7kt.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-10-30 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Nick Bart' via pandoc-discuss,

<pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Though using citations with, possibly long, prefixes and suffixes rather than footnotes in the markdown source seems to work very well in most cases, there is one problem that makes getting the exact same output format as the one requested in the original post impossible: citations have to be separated by a semicolon, and if they aren’t, the output becomes garbled. Technically, this isn’t a bug (the pandoc manual: “Markdown citations go inside square brackets and are separated by semicolons”), but I wonder whether this requirement could be relaxed.

Maybe -- what would you suggest as an alternative?
We need some unambiguous way of marking the divider between
consecutive citations.

@ 2020-10-30 16:50         ` 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]           ` <5f9c4466.1c69fb81.d1513.277bSMTPIN_ADDED_MISSING-AJJneosEFeET7FrJB5NJYwC/G2K4zDHf@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss @ 2020-10-30 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

What about double bar || ?
-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------Von: John MacFarlane <jgm@berkeley.edu> Datum: 30.10.20  17:40  (GMT+01:00) An: 'Nick Bart' via pandoc-discuss <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org Betreff: Re: Removing parentheses around citations in footnotes "'Nick Bart' via pandoc-discuss"<pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org> writes:> Though using citations with, possibly long, prefixes and suffixes rather than footnotes in the markdown source seems to work very well in most cases, there is one problem that makes getting the exact same output format as the one requested in the original post impossible: citations have to be separated by a semicolon, and if they aren’t, the output becomes garbled. Technically, this isn’t a bug (the pandoc manual: “Markdown citations go inside square brackets and are separated by semicolons”), but I wonder whether this requirement could be relaxed.Maybe -- what would you suggest as an alternative?We need some unambiguous way of marking the divider betweenconsecutive citations.-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group.To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF5qMzOjczn9V@public.gmane.org view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/m27dr7r7kt.fsf%40MacBook-Pro.hsd1.ca.comcast.net.

@ 2020-10-30 16:59             ` Brian Hamilton
From: Brian Hamilton @ 2020-10-30 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

One sidenote: long intraparagraph citations would work adequately, I think, for some cases, but descriptive footnotes in the humanities sometimes have a way of going very, very long. It would be pretty important to me as  a writer that the solution still allow me to drop these notes into named footnotes in my markdown source.

—

@ 2020-10-30 18:15               ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-10-30 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Hamilton, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I know what you mean. Another drawback of moving the citations
intraparagraph is that, if you switch to an author-date style,
you might want these long discursive citations in footnotes.

I's really hard to achieve the ambition of seamless switching between
note and author-date citation styles.

@ 2020-10-30 19:41               ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]                 ` <efbe368b-a651-44d3-92bd-5ea99d93fdec-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2020-10-30 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 10/30/20 4:57 AM, 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss wrote:
> Biblatex uses a different approach here:
> it first defines the basic macros (cite), with more complex ones being built top of that (textcite, parencite, autocite,  smartcite, etc.). So here, a user can use style agnostic commands (autocite) together with commands that make sense in a specific citation.

I used to use biblatex (back before Philipp Lehman mysteriously disappeared), and while I appreciated its power -- and used these commands -- I was a quick convert to pandoc's markdown for its simplicity.

I've written a couple of books now by making do with citation prefixes and suffixes:

```
[My characterization of the hacker "ethos" is different but compatible with that of others, including @Levy2010hhc; @Raymond2001hbh; @Thomas2002hc; @Suiter2013wh; @Eschenroeder2015plh; @Thomas2015lhc].
```

or notes with "naked" cites:

```
^[A survey of self-trackers discerned three main motives: improvement of (1) health and (2) other life areas and (3) having new life experiences (curiosity, fun, and learning). See @ChoeEtal2014uqs, p. 5; for a review of motivations see @Watson2013ldp, p. 9; see also @SharonZandbergen2017dfq]
```

This approach isn't transparently translatable across all style guides and CSL files, but it's hard to imagine something that remains simple doing so...

-------------

BTW: A hack on pandoc citations that I have in my wrapper is the "suppressible" cite, prefixed with `#`. I keep these citations handy for my own reference and can generate the mega-cited version or trimmed version of a document via a switch in the YAML metadata or command line argument.

```
For Buchheit, "Hacking is much bigger and more important than clever bits of code in a computer---it's how we create the future" [#@BuchheitLivingston2007pbg; @Buchheit2009apk; on Buchheit and life hacking, see @Thomas2015lhc, p. 44].
```

Has anyone else ever had use for such a thing?

@ 2020-10-30 22:16                   ` Denis Maier
       [not found]                     ` <c9b08fd2-84d5-4de7-bf5c-8ea15dc15201n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Denis Maier @ 2020-10-30 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Joseph schrieb am Freitag, 30. Oktober 2020 um 20:42:04 UTC+1:

> On 10/30/20 4:57 AM, 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss wrote:
> > Biblatex uses a different approach here:
> > it first defines the basic macros (cite), with more complex ones being
> built top of that (textcite, parencite, autocite, smartcite, etc.). So
> here, a user can use style agnostic commands (autocite) together with
> commands that make sense in a specific citation.
>
> I used to use biblatex (back before Philipp Lehman mysteriously
> disappeared), and while I appreciated its power -- and used these commands
> -- I was a quick convert to pandoc's markdown for its simplicity.
>
> I've written a couple of books now by making do with citation prefixes and
> suffixes:
>
> ```
> [My characterization of the hacker "ethos" is different but compatible
> with that of others, including @Levy2010hhc; @Raymond2001hbh;
> @Thomas2002hc; @Suiter2013wh; @Eschenroeder2015plh; @Thomas2015lhc].
> ```
>
> or notes with "naked" cites:
>
> ```
> ^[A survey of self-trackers discerned three main motives: improvement of
> (1) health and (2) other life areas and (3) having new life experiences
> (curiosity, fun, and learning). See @ChoeEtal2014uqs, p. 5; for a review of
> motivations see @Watson2013ldp, p. 9; see also @SharonZandbergen2017dfq]
> ```

I suggested that above as well. But I was told that this won't work with
note styles? This seems to wrap titles in parentheses. Has this behavior
changed with the new citeproc?

> -------------
>
> BTW: A hack on pandoc citations that I have in my wrapper is the
> "suppressible" cite, prefixed with `#`. I keep these citations handy for my
> own reference and can generate the mega-cited version or trimmed version of
> a document via a switch in the YAML metadata or command line argument.
>
> ```
> For Buchheit, "Hacking is much bigger and more important than clever bits
> of code in a computer---it's how we create the future"
> [#@BuchheitLivingston2007pbg; @Buchheit2009apk; on Buchheit and life
> hacking, see @Thomas2015lhc, p. 44].
> ```
>
> Has anyone else ever had use for such a thing?

Yes, that looks quite useful.

Best,
Denis

@ 2020-10-31 11:52                       ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]                         ` <a49cde1d-0016-a4fb-0d99-655cb88810fa-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2020-10-31 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 10/30/20 6:16 PM, Denis Maier wrote:
> But I was told that this won't work with note styles? This seems to wrap titles in parentheses. Has this behavior changed with the new citeproc?

That imperfect behavior *is* consistent across versions. I used the latter ("in-text" citations, where title is within parens, within a note) so rarely that it's something I felt comfortable letting the copy-editor perfect.

This is what pandoc produced:

https://reagle.org/joseph/2016/lh/06-health.html#fn6

6. A survey of self-trackers discerned three main motives: improvement of (1) health and (2) other life areas and (3) having new life experiences (curiosity, fun, and learning). See Eun Kyoung Choe et al. (“Understanding Quantified-Selfers’ Practices in Collecting and Exploring Personal Data,” Proceedings of the 32nd Annual ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - CHI ’14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1145/2556288.2557372), p. 5; for a review of motivations see Sara M. Watson (“Living with Data: Personal Data Uses of the Quantified Self” (Master’s thesis, University of Oxford, 2013), http://www.saramwatson.com/blog/living-with-data-personal-data-uses-of-the-quantified), p. 9; see also Tamar Sharon and Dorien Zandbergen (“From Data Fetishism to Quantifying Selves: Self-Tracking Practices and the Other Values of Data,” New Media & Society 19, no. 11 (2017): 1695–1709, http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1461444816636090)↩

And this is what a professional copy editor did to it:

https://hackinglife.mitpress.mit.edu/pub/razodglh/release/2#r3186735723

6. A survey of self-trackers discerned three main motives: improvement of (1) health and (2) other life areas and (3) having new life experiences (curiosity, fun, and learning). See Eun Kyoung Choe, Nicole B. Lee, Bongshin Lee, Wanda Pratt, and Julie A. Kientz, “Understanding Quantified-Selfers’ Practices in Collecting and Exploring Personal Data,” in CHI ’14: Proceedings of the 32nd Annual ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (New York: Association for Computing Machinery, 2014), 1147, https://doi.org/10.1145/2556288.2557372; for a review of motivations, see Sara M. Watson, “Living with Data: Personal Data Uses of the Quantified Self” (MSc thesis, University of Oxford, 2013), 9, http://www.saramwatson.com/blog/living-with-data-personal-data-uses-of-the-quantified; see also Tamar Sharon and Dorien Zandbergen, “From Data Fetishism to Quantifying Selves: Self-Tracking Practices and the Other Values of Data,” New Media & Society 19, no. 11 (2017): 1695–1709, http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1461444816636090.

[-- Attachment #2: Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 7.51.44 AM.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 100409 bytes --]

@ 2020-11-01 18:32                           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                             ` <m2sg9tlygo.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-11-01 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reagle, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks, this is helpful.

I've made a change to pandoc which I think I'm going to push in a little
while.  I've been testing it on a 75-page document that I'm
converting to a format with fullnote citations, and with this
change the results are much better.

The change is as follows:

Inside a footnote, normal citations like [@foo] are still rendered in
parentheses.

But author-in-text citations like @foo are rendered with the
author's name, then a comma, then the rest.

This does seem to be a big improvement, and the result should
require less manual editing.

@ 2020-11-01 20:49                               ` 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]                                 ` <5f9f1f6d.1c69fb81.b5b0.7944SMTPIN_ADDED_MISSING-AJJneosEFeET7FrJB5NJYwC/G2K4zDHf@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss @ 2020-11-01 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, Joseph Reagle

Thanks John, that's absolutely an improvement.However, I am still unsure whether a new mode `plain` or so would be an even better solution. I imagine there a situations where you want "author, the rest", and in other situations you'll want "author (the rest)". Also, how does your change affect author date styles and switching between styles?What do you think?
-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------Von: John MacFarlane <jgm@berkeley.edu> Datum: 01.11.20  19:33  (GMT+01:00) An: Joseph Reagle <joseph.2011-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org Betreff: Re: Removing parentheses around citations in footnotes Thanks, this is helpful.I've made a change to pandoc which I think I'm going to push in a littlewhile.  I've been testing it on a 75-page document that I'mconverting to a format with fullnote citations, and with thischange the results are much better.The change is as follows:Inside a footnote, normal citations like [@foo] are still rendered inparentheses.But author-in-text citations like @foo are rendered with theauthor's name, then a comma, then the rest.This does seem to be a big improvement, and the result shouldrequire less manual editing.Joseph Reagle <joseph.2011-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> writes:> On 10/30/20 6:16 PM, Denis Maier wrote:>> But I was told that this won't work with note styles? This seems to wrap titles in parentheses. Has this behavior changed with the new citeproc?>> That imperfect behavior *is* consistent across versions. I used the latter ("in-text" citations, where title is within parens, within a note) so rarely that it's something I felt comfortable letting the copy-editor perfect. >> This is what pandoc produced:>> https://reagle.org/joseph/2016/lh/06-health.html#fn6>> 6. A survey of self-trackers discerned three main motives: improvement of (1) health and (2) other life areas and (3) having new life experiences (curiosity, fun, and learning). See Eun Kyoung Choe et al. (“Understanding Quantified-Selfers’ Practices in Collecting and Exploring Personal Data,” Proceedings of the 32nd Annual ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - CHI ’14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1145/2556288.2557372), p. 5; for a review of motivations see Sara M. Watson (“Living with Data: Personal Data Uses of the Quantified Self” (Master’s thesis, University of Oxford, 2013), http://www.saramwatson.com/blog/living-with-data-personal-data-uses-of-the-quantified), p. 9; see also Tamar Sharon and Dorien Zandbergen (“From Data Fetishism to Quantifying Selves: Self-Tracking Practices and the Other Values of Data,” New Media & Society 19, no. 11 (2017): 1695–1709, http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1461444816636090)↩>> And this is what a professional copy editor did to it:>> https://hackinglife.mitpress.mit.edu/pub/razodglh/release/2#r3186735723>> 6. A survey of self-trackers discerned three main motives: improvement of (1) health and (2) other life areas and (3) having new life experiences (curiosity, fun, and learning). See Eun Kyoung Choe, Nicole B. Lee, Bongshin Lee, Wanda Pratt, and Julie A. Kientz, “Understanding Quantified-Selfers’ Practices in Collecting and Exploring Personal Data,” in CHI ’14: Proceedings of the 32nd Annual ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (New York: Association for Computing Machinery, 2014), 1147, https://doi.org/10.1145/2556288.2557372; for a review of motivations, see Sara M. Watson, “Living with Data: Personal Data Uses of the Quantified Self” (MSc thesis, University of Oxford, 2013), 9, http://www.saramwatson.com/blog/living-with-data-personal-data-uses-of-the-quantified; see also Tamar Sharon and Dorien Zandbergen, “From Data Fetishism to Quantifying Selves: Self-Tracking Practices and the Other Values of Data,” New Media & Society 19, no. 11 (2017): 1695–1709, http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1461444816636090.>> -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group.> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/a49cde1d-0016-a4fb-0d99-655cb88810fa%40reagle.org.-- You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group.To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/pandoc-discuss/8YoFxeexDWs/unsubscribe.To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF5qMzOjczn9V@public.gmane.org view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/m2sg9tlygo.fsf%40MacBook-Pro.hsd1.ca.comcast.net.

@ 2020-11-01 21:43                                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                     ` <m2pn4wn46n.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-11-01 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss,
	pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, Joseph Reagle

I should have mentioned...this only affects note styles.

@ 2020-11-01 21:46                               ` Brian Hamilton
From: Brian Hamilton @ 2020-11-01 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thank you so much, John! That sounds like a straightforward fix, and it’ll solve my problem entirely.

@ 2020-11-01 22:09                                       ` 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]                                         ` <5f9f321d.1c69fb81.d071b.5a49SMTPIN_ADDED_MISSING-AJJneosEFeET7FrJB5NJYwC/G2K4zDHf@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss @ 2020-11-01 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, Joseph Reagle

Ok.Just one caveat then: this makes switching between note styles and author date styles more difficult. For a note style you'll probably use the in text variant in footnotes more often. But for author date styles the opposite will be true. If so, wouldn't it make more sense to just render [@doe] without parentheses? Maybe this has other downsides.
-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------Von: John MacFarlane <jgm@berkeley.edu> Datum: 01.11.20  22:44  (GMT+01:00) An: 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org, Joseph Reagle <joseph.2011-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> Betreff: Re: Removing parentheses around citations in footnotes I should have mentioned...this only affects note styles."'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss"<pandoc-discuss@googlegroups.com> writes:> Thanks John, that's absolutely an improvement.However, I am still unsure whether a new mode `plain` or so would be an even better solution. I imagine there a situations where you want "author, the rest", and in other situations you'll want "author (the rest)". Also, how does your change affect author date styles and switching between styles?What do you think?-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group.To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/m2pn4wn46n.fsf%40MacBook-Pro.hsd1.ca.comcast.net.

@ 2020-11-02 18:59                                           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                             ` <m28sbjmvp1.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-11-02 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss,
	pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, Joseph Reagle

"'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss"
<pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Ok.Just one caveat then: this makes switching between note styles and author date styles more difficult. For a note style you'll probably use the in text variant in footnotes more often. But for author date styles the opposite will be true. If so, wouldn't it make more sense to just render [@doe] without parentheses? Maybe this has other downsides.

I'm tempted to do that.  But you still need some punctuation,
at least in certain cases.

With @doe, we know that the author's name always comes first,
so then we can place a comma and the rest.

With [@doe], the punctuation is more complicated.
If it's at the beginning of a sentence, or after a comma
or semicolon, no punctuation is needed.  But if it's
after a word and a space, we need to replace the space
with comma + space. There may be other cases too, and
I'm less sure of myself.

@ 2020-11-02 21:36                                               ` 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss
From: 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss @ 2020-11-02 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, John MacFarlane, Joseph Reagle

Am 02.11.2020 um 19:59 schrieb John MacFarlane:
> "'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss"
> <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Ok.Just one caveat then: this makes switching between note styles and author date styles more difficult. For a note style you'll probably use the in text variant in footnotes more often. But for author date styles the opposite will be true. If so, wouldn't it make more sense to just render [@doe] without parentheses? Maybe this has other downsides.
> I'm tempted to do that.  But you still need some punctuation,
> at least in certain cases.
>
> With @doe, we know that the author's name always comes first,
> so then we can place a comma and the rest.
>
> With [@doe], the punctuation is more complicated.
> If it's at the beginning of a sentence, or after a comma
> or semicolon, no punctuation is needed.  But if it's
> after a word and a space, we need to replace the space
> with comma + space. There may be other cases too, and
> I'm less sure of myself.
Arrgh, I see. It's really nasty. Perhaps we should construct the
requirements bottom up, starting with a couple of examples.

"This is a quotation" [@doe].
On this and that see @doe.

Author-date is easy:
"This is a quotation" (Doe 2020).
On this and that see Doe (2020).

Note:
"This is a quotation." Doe, Title, etc.
On this and that see Doe, Title, etc.

That would speak for just dropping the parentheses in both (!) cases?

OTOH, a writer may want to integrate:
"This is a quotation" (Doe, Title, etc.), integrated in the flow of the
text.
"This is a quotation", integrated in the flow of the text, Doe, Title, etc.

In author date styles, they would appear this way:
"This is a quotation" (Doe 2020), integrated in the flow of the text.
"This is a quotation", integrated in the flow of the text (Doe 2020).

How does that fit into the picture? It seems the behaviour is slightly
inconsistent across styles.

Author-date styles are simpler than notes styles, so it could be a
solution to add citation modes/commands that have a special meaning only
when using a note style, e.g. to deal with the more special cases. In
author date styles they'd just be aliases for the regular modes.

The other question really is if there is a consistent behaviour across
note styles. There may styles that require:
"This is a quotation" (Doe, Title, etc).
instead of:

@ 2020-11-03  9:55                               ` jcr
       [not found]                                 ` <96044e8e-3bdf-42cf-b844-ae2f82be5cdcn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: jcr @ 2020-11-03  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I agree that this would be really helpful. I wrote a book in pandoc, using
a notes style and LaTeX for formatting, and I had to use raw LaTeX whenever
I wanted a citation in a footnote that wasn't in parentheses. Once you've
sorted out how this will work with CSL, it would be good to get support for
this in LaTeX output as well, using \cite instead of \autocite for bare
citations.

@ 2020-11-03 18:00                                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                     ` <m2pn4ul3rg.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-11-03 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jcr, pandoc-discuss

I think we could change the LaTeX writer to use `\cite` instead
of `\autocite` to render citations in footnotes.  That's
separate from this CSL issue.  If that seems a good idea,
you might submit a bug report on our tracker.

@ 2020-11-03 18:01                                       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                         ` <m2mtzyl3p4.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-11-03 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jcr, pandoc-discuss

Though on second thought we *would* have to figure out how
to punctuate in this case, too.

@ 2020-11-04 16:15                                           ` FI Apps
       [not found]                                             ` <54B18F9B-E35A-4D2D-ABA3-6C2C6E8D4DF2-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: FI Apps @ 2020-11-04 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John MacFarlane, pandoc-discuss

I’m not sure what punctuation you have in mind, so I’ll explain more fully why I thought the issues were connected. Here I have three cases: a regular citation in the body, a regular citation in a footnote, and a bare citation in a footnote:

$ echo 'Foo says, "Lorem"[@foo, 12]. Others disagree^["Ipsum" [@bar, 34]. See also @baz [56].]' | pandoc --biblatex -t latex
Foo says, ``Lorem''\autocite[12]{foo}. Others disagree\footnote{``Ipsum''
  \autocite[34]{bar}. See also \textcite[56]{baz}.}

The third case is where I want \cite. The fact that I got a \textcite there was a surprise to me. I thought pandoc produced \autocite in that case too, but I haven’t tested it recently (and maybe I hadn’t tried bare citations).

If citeproc is going to retain the new behavior introduced in 2.11.1 for notes styles, then I think pandoc should use \cite in that case for LaTeX output, so that CSL and LaTeX output are similar. But if the new citeproc behavior is still in flux, then I don’t think the LaTeX behavior should change until it has stabilized. Looking at this again, I could probably get what I want by using a Lua filter to replace AuthorInText citations with \cite as raw LaTeX.

@ 2020-11-04 19:13                                               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                                 ` <m2pn4tj5ps.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-11-04 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FI Apps, pandoc-discuss

Why a surprise?  @baz is pandoc's format for an in-text citation.
Compare [@baz] for a normal citation.

@ 2020-11-04 19:40                                                   ` FI Apps
From: FI Apps @ 2020-11-04 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John MacFarlane; +Cc: pandoc-discuss

Yes, I know it's an in-text citation, but I t thought I had tried all the
options to get a citation that wasn't in parentheses. So (1) I didn't try
in-text citations a couple of years ago, or (2) although I got a different
result with an in-text citation, it still had undesired parentheses, and I
then forgot about it because it wasn't what I was looking for, or (3)
pandoc didn't produce \textcite back then. Whatever happened a few years
ago, today it was a surprise.

@ 2020-11-05  8:20                                               ` 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]                                                 ` <656b781c-53f7-0b32-9147-eee464b22e18-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss @ 2020-11-05  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, John MacFarlane, Joseph Reagle

John, I've seen you've already implemented that change in the current
release. Just one note: I've realized that citeproc-js behaves
differently here: it just omits the parentheses on regular citations in
footnotes. That may be due to the fact that "author in-text" citations
are not a Zotero feature yet, but I thought it may be worth pointing
that out anyway. Don't know though if that discrepancy has any real
consequenses.

Best,
Denis

@ 2020-11-06 18:08                                                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                                     ` <m2mtzuiciu.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-11-06 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis Maier, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, Joseph Reagle

Denis Maier <denismaier-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> John, I've seen you've already implemented that change in the current
> release. Just one note: I've realized that citeproc-js behaves
> differently here: it just omits the parentheses on regular citations in
> footnotes. That may be due to the fact that "author in-text" citations
> are not a Zotero feature yet, but I thought it may be worth pointing
> that out anyway. Don't know though if that discrepancy has any real
> consequenses.

I'm less worried about matching citeproc-js, more worried about
getting output that looks right.  Just emitting regular citations
in notes without any punctuation is going to give really bad
results in many cases.

@ 2020-11-06 20:25                                                     ` Denis Maier
From: Denis Maier @ 2020-11-06 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss, jgm

----_com.samsung.android.email_1064847677652030
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----_com.samsung.android.email_1064847677652030

PGh0bWw+PGhlYWQ+PG1ldGEgaHR0cC1lcXVpdj0iQ29udGVudC1UeXBlIiBjb250ZW50PSJ0ZXh0
L2h0bWw7IGNoYXJzZXQ9VVRGLTgiPjwvaGVhZD48Ym9keSBkaXI9ImF1dG8iPjxkaXYgZGlyPSJh
dXRvIj5TdXJlLCBnZXR0aW5nIHRoZSBvdXRwdXQgcmlnaHQgc2hvdWxkIGJlIHRoZSBtYWluIHBy
aW9yaXR5LiBKdXN0IGxldCBtZSBtZW50aW9uIHRoYXQgQ1NMIDEuMSB3aWxsIGFkZCBzdXBwb3J0
IGZvciBhdXRob3ItaW4tdGV4dCBjaXRhdGlvbnMuIE1heWJlIHRoYXQgc2hvdWxkIGJlIHRha2Vu
IGludG8gYWNjb3VudC4mbmJzcDs8L2Rpdj48ZGl2IGRpcj0iYXV0byI+PGJyPjwvZGl2PjxkaXY+
PGJyPjwvZGl2PjxkaXYgYWxpZ249ImxlZnQiIGRpcj0iYXV0byIgc3R5bGU9ImZvbnQtc2l6ZTox
MDAlO2NvbG9yOiMwMDAwMDAiPjxkaXY+LS0tLS0tLS0gVXJzcHLDvG5nbGljaGUgTmFjaHJpY2h0
IC0tLS0tLS0tPC9kaXY+PGRpdj5Wb246IEpvaG4gTWFjRmFybGFuZSAmbHQ7amdtQGJlcmtlbGV5
LmVkdSZndDsgPC9kaXY+PGRpdj5EYXR1bTogMDYuMTEuMjAgIDE5OjA4ICAoR01UKzAxOjAwKSA8
L2Rpdj48ZGl2PkFuOiBEZW5pcyBNYWllciAmbHQ7ZGVuaXNtYWllckBtYWlsYm94Lm9yZyZndDss
IHBhbmRvYy1kaXNjdXNzQGdvb2dsZWdyb3Vwcy5jb20sIEpvc2VwaCBSZWFnbGUgJmx0O2pvc2Vw
aC4yMDExQHJlYWdsZS5vcmcmZ3Q7IDwvZGl2PjxkaXY+QmV0cmVmZjogUmU6IFJlbW92aW5nIHBh
cmVudGhlc2VzIGFyb3VuZCBjaXRhdGlvbnMgaW4gZm9vdG5vdGVzIDwvZGl2PjxkaXY+PGJyPjwv
ZGl2PjwvZGl2PkRlbmlzIE1haWVyICZsdDtkZW5pc21haWVyQG1haWxib3gub3JnJmd0OyB3cml0
ZXM6PGJyPjxicj4mZ3Q7IEpvaG4sIEkndmUgc2VlbiB5b3UndmUgYWxyZWFkeSBpbXBsZW1lbnRl
ZCB0aGF0IGNoYW5nZSBpbiB0aGUgY3VycmVudCA8YnI+Jmd0OyByZWxlYXNlLiBKdXN0IG9uZSBu
b3RlOiBJJ3ZlIHJlYWxpemVkIHRoYXQgY2l0ZXByb2MtanMgYmVoYXZlcyA8YnI+Jmd0OyBkaWZm
ZXJlbnRseSBoZXJlOiBpdCBqdXN0IG9taXRzIHRoZSBwYXJlbnRoZXNlcyBvbiByZWd1bGFyIGNp
dGF0aW9ucyBpbiA8YnI+Jmd0OyBmb290bm90ZXMuIFRoYXQgbWF5IGJlIGR1ZSB0byB0aGUgZmFj
dCB0aGF0ICJhdXRob3IgaW4tdGV4dCIgY2l0YXRpb25zIDxicj4mZ3Q7IGFyZSBub3QgYSBab3Rl
cm8gZmVhdHVyZSB5ZXQsIGJ1dCBJIHRob3VnaHQgaXQgbWF5IGJlIHdvcnRoIHBvaW50aW5nIDxi
cj4mZ3Q7IHRoYXQgb3V0IGFueXdheS4gRG9uJ3Qga25vdyB0aG91Z2ggaWYgdGhhdCBkaXNjcmVw
YW5jeSBoYXMgYW55IHJlYWwgPGJyPiZndDsgY29uc2VxdWVuc2VzLjxicj48YnI+SSdtIGxlc3Mg
d29ycmllZCBhYm91dCBtYXRjaGluZyBjaXRlcHJvYy1qcywgbW9yZSB3b3JyaWVkIGFib3V0PGJy
PmdldHRpbmcgb3V0cHV0IHRoYXQgbG9va3MgcmlnaHQuJm5ic3A7IEp1c3QgZW1pdHRpbmcgcmVn
dWxhciBjaXRhdGlvbnM8YnI+aW4gbm90ZXMgd2l0aG91dCBhbnkgcHVuY3R1YXRpb24gaXMgZ29p
bmcgdG8gZ2l2ZSByZWFsbHkgYmFkPGJyPnJlc3VsdHMgaW4gbWFueSBjYXNlcy48YnI+PGJyPi0t
IDxicj5Zb3UgcmVjZWl2ZWQgdGhpcyBtZXNzYWdlIGJlY2F1c2UgeW91IGFyZSBzdWJzY3JpYmVk
IHRvIHRoZSBHb29nbGUgR3JvdXBzICJwYW5kb2MtZGlzY3VzcyIgZ3JvdXAuPGJyPlRvIHVuc3Vi
c2NyaWJlIGZyb20gdGhpcyBncm91cCBhbmQgc3RvcCByZWNlaXZpbmcgZW1haWxzIGZyb20gaXQs
IHNlbmQgYW4gZW1haWwgdG8gcGFuZG9jLWRpc2N1c3MrdW5zdWJzY3JpYmVAZ29vZ2xlZ3JvdXBz
LmNvbS48YnI+VG8gdmlldyB0aGlzIGRpc2N1c3Npb24gb24gdGhlIHdlYiB2aXNpdCBodHRwczov
L2dyb3Vwcy5nb29nbGUuY29tL2QvbXNnaWQvcGFuZG9jLWRpc2N1c3MvbTJtdHp1aWNpdS5mc2Yl
NDBNYWNCb29rLVByby5oc2QxLmNhLmNvbWNhc3QubmV0Ljxicj48L2JvZHk+PC9odG1sPg==

@ 2020-11-06 20:25                                                       ` 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]                                                         ` <5fa5b126.1c69fb81.4fe42.2557SMTPIN_ADDED_MISSING-AJJneosEFeET7FrJB5NJYwC/G2K4zDHf@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss @ 2020-11-06 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A

Sure, getting the output right should be the main priority. Just let me mention that CSL 1.1 will add support for author-in-text citations. Maybe that should be taken into account.
-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------Von: John MacFarlane <jgm@berkeley.edu> Datum: 06.11.20  19:08  (GMT+01:00) An: Denis Maier <denismaier@mailbox.org>, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org, Joseph Reagle <joseph.2011@reagle.org> Betreff: Re: Removing parentheses around citations in footnotes Denis Maier <denismaier-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org> writes:> John, I've seen you've already implemented that change in the current > release. Just one note: I've realized that citeproc-js behaves > differently here: it just omits the parentheses on regular citations in > footnotes. That may be due to the fact that "author in-text" citations > are not a Zotero feature yet, but I thought it may be worth pointing > that out anyway. Don't know though if that discrepancy has any real > consequenses.I'm less worried about matching citeproc-js, more worried aboutgetting output that looks right.  Just emitting regular citationsin notes without any punctuation is going to give really badresults in many cases.-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group.To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF5qMzOjczn9V@public.gmane.org view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/m2mtzuiciu.fsf%40MacBook-Pro.hsd1.ca.comcast.net.

@ 2020-11-10 18:21                                                           ` Brian Hamilton
From: Brian Hamilton @ 2020-11-10 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks again, all, for making some of these changes. I just re-ran some of the essays I’d been writing with the new release, and it works like a charm.

The one thing I’m still noticing is that the changes do not apply to citations in which the author has been suppressed. Thus a note like this:

[^finnsources]: Finn first laid out his proposal in -@finn2016. He drew there on some ideas already articulated in his edited volume, -@finn2014, and has recently developed the idea more systematically in a new edited volume called -@finn2020...

comes out like this:

Would it cause further difficulties to apply the same fix to author-suppressed citations?

Brian
On Nov 10, 2020, 11:46 AM -0500, 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>, wrote:
> Sure, getting the output right should be the main priority. Just let me mention that CSL 1.1 will add support for author-in-text citations. Maybe that should be taken into account.

> Von: John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
> Datum: 06.11.20 19:08 (GMT+01:00)
> An: Denis Maier <denismaier-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org>, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org, Joseph Reagle <joseph.2011-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
> Betreff: Re: Removing parentheses around citations in footnotes
>
> Denis Maier <denismaier-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > John, I've seen you've already implemented that change in the current
> > release. Just one note: I've realized that citeproc-js behaves
> > differently here: it just omits the parentheses on regular citations in
> > footnotes. That may be due to the fact that "author in-text" citations
> > are not a Zotero feature yet, but I thought it may be worth pointing
> > that out anyway. Don't know though if that discrepancy has any real
> > consequenses.
>
> I'm less worried about matching citeproc-js, more worried about
> getting output that looks right.  Just emitting regular citations
> in notes without any punctuation is going to give really bad
> results in many cases.
>
> --

[-- Attachment #2.2: Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 1.20.10 PM.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 68824 bytes --]

@ 2020-11-11 10:53                                                           ` bdh
       [not found]                                                             ` <7c4093a2-ef90-4452-8516-33526ec2028bn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: bdh @ 2020-11-11 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Tuesday, November 10, 2020 at 11:46:43 AM UTC-5 Denis Maier wrote:

> Sure, getting the output right should be the main priority. Just let me
> mention that CSL 1.1 will add support for author-in-text citations. Maybe
> that should be taken into account.

> Von: John MacFarlane <j...-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
> Datum: 06.11.20 19:08 (GMT+01:00)
> An: Denis Maier <denis...-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org>, pandoc-...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org,
> Joseph Reagle <josep...-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
> Betreff: Re: Removing parentheses around citations in footnotes
>
> Denis Maier <denis...-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > John, I've seen you've already implemented that change in the current
> > release. Just one note: I've realized that citeproc-js behaves
> > differently here: it just omits the parentheses on regular citations in
> > footnotes. That may be due to the fact that "author in-text" citations
> > are not a Zotero feature yet, but I thought it may be worth pointing
> > that out anyway. Don't know though if that discrepancy has any real
> > consequenses.
>
> I'm less worried about matching citeproc-js, more worried about
> getting output that looks right.  Just emitting regular citations
> in notes without any punctuation is going to give really bad
> results in many cases.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/m2mtzuiciu.fsf%40MacBook-Pro.hsd1.ca.comcast.net
> .

[-- Attachment #2: Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 1.20.10 PM.png --]

@ 2020-11-11 18:07                                                               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                                                 ` <m2r1ozlqco.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-11-11 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bdh, pandoc-discuss

I see why this behavior would be desirable.

One problem is that currently pandoc produces exactly the same
parsed structure for -@finn2016 and [-@finn2016].
So there is no way to distinguish between the case in which
you used brackets and the case where you didn't.

I'd suggest putting a request on the pandoc bug tracker.
We need to think about this more.

@ 2020-11-11 19:48                                                                 ` Denis Maier
From: Denis Maier @ 2020-11-11 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss, bdh, jgm

----_com.samsung.android.email_1884233976206240
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----_com.samsung.android.email_1884233976206240
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=

@ 2020-11-11 19:48                                                                   ` 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss
From: 'Denis Maier' via pandoc-discuss @ 2020-11-11 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, bdh, jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A

I'll add a proposal for additional citation modes in CSL soon. Don't know yet, but that could be a solution here.
-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------Von: John MacFarlane <jgm@berkeley.edu> Datum: 11.11.20  19:07  (GMT+01:00) An: bdh <bdhamilton-Re5JQEeQqe8@public.gmane.orgm>, pandoc-discuss <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org> Betreff: Re: Removing parentheses around citations in footnotes I see why this behavior would be desirable.One problem is that currently pandoc produces exactly the sameparsed structure for -@finn2016 and [-@finn2016].So there is no way to distinguish between the case in whichyou used brackets and the case where you didn't.I'd suggest putting a request on the pandoc bug tracker.We need to think about this more.bdh <bdhamilton-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:> Thanks again, all, for making some of these changes. I just re-ran some of > the essays I’d been writing with the new release, and it works like a charm.>> The one thing I’m still noticing is that the changes do *not* apply to > citations in which the author has been suppressed. Thus a note like this:>> [^finnsources]: Finn first laid out his proposal in -@finn2016. He drew > there on some ideas already articulated in his edited volume, -@finn2014, > and has recently developed the idea more systematically in a new edited > volume called -@finn2020...>> comes out like this:>> [image: Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 1.20.10 PM.png]>> Would it cause further difficulties to apply the same fix to > author-suppressed citations?>> Brian> On Tuesday, November 10, 2020 at 11:46:43 AM UTC-5 Denis Maier wrote:>>> Sure, getting the output right should be the main priority. Just let me >> mention that CSL 1.1 will add support for author-in-text citations. Maybe >> that should be taken into account. >>>>>> -------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht -------->> Von: John MacFarlane <j...-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> >> Datum: 06.11.20 19:08 (GMT+01:00) >> An: Denis Maier <denis...-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org>, pandoc-...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org, >> Joseph Reagle <josep...-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> >> Betreff: Re: Removing parentheses around citations in footnotes >>>> Denis Maier <denis...-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org> writes:>>>> > John, I've seen you've already implemented that change in the current >> > release. Just one note: I've realized that citeproc-js behaves >> > differently here: it just omits the parentheses on regular citations in >> > footnotes. That may be due to the fact that "author in-text" citations >> > are not a Zotero feature yet, but I thought it may be worth pointing >> > that out anyway. Don't know though if that discrepancy has any real >> > consequenses.>>>> I'm less worried about matching citeproc-js, more worried about>> getting output that looks right.  Just emitting regular citations>> in notes without any punctuation is going to give really bad>> results in many cases.>>>> -- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "pandoc-discuss" group.>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an >> email to pandoc-discus...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org>> To view this discussion on the web visit >> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/m2mtzuiciu.fsf%40MacBook-Pro.hsd1.ca.comcast.net>> .>>>> -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group.> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/7c4093a2-ef90-4452-8516-33526ec2028bn%40googlegroups.com.-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group.To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF5qMzOjczn9V@public.gmane.org view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/m2r1ozlqco.fsf%40MacBook-Pro.hsd1.ca.comcast.net.

* Re: Removing parentheses around citations in footnotes
@ 2020-11-15 17:31                                                             ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                                               ` <m2y2j28r37.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-11-15 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Hamilton, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Brian Hamilton <bdhamilton-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Thanks again, all, for making some of these changes. I just re-ran some of the essays I’d been writing with the new release, and it works like a charm.
>
> The one thing I’m still noticing is that the changes do not apply to citations in which the author has been suppressed. Thus a note like this:
>
> [^finnsources]: Finn first laid out his proposal in -@finn2016. He drew there on some ideas already articulated in his edited volume, -@finn2014, and has recently developed the idea more systematically in a new edited volume called -@finn2020...
>
> comes out like this:
>

> Would it cause further difficulties to apply the same fix to author-suppressed citations?

This is being discussed in another thread:
https://groups.google.com/g/pandoc-discuss/c/T2-J5RJmVU4/m/ZcXj1sGAAQAJ

With -@finn2014 I think it would be reasonable to handle it in
the way you suggest, just rendering the citation without
punctuation (when it occurs in a note, in a note style).

But we probably don't want to treat [-@finn:2014] the same way.

And the problem is that pandoc parses -@finn:2014 and
[-@finn:2014] to nearly the same structure

 % pandoc -t native
-@finn:2014
[Para [Cite [Citation {citationId = "finn:2014", citationPrefix = [], citationSuffix = [], citationMode = SuppressAuthor, citationNoteNum = 1, citationHash = 0}] [Str "@finn:2014"]]]

% pandoc -t native
[-@finn:2014]
[Para [Cite [Citation {citationId = "finn:2014", citationPrefix = [], citationSuffix = [], citationMode = SuppressAuthor, citationNoteNum = 1, citationHash = 0}] [Str "[-@finn:2014]"]]]

The only way to distinguish these is to look at the raw content
and check for a bracket (which, now that I think of it, might work).

@ 2020-12-31 14:49                                                                 ` 'Till Grallert' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]                                                                   ` <3a7cea0b-fbcd-45e2-9f52-5cb530d8f9d8n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Till Grallert' via pandoc-discuss @ 2020-12-31 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I am late to the discussion and to this Google group. But since I was
struck by unexpected behaviour after migrating from pandoc-citeproc to
citeproc, I would like to share two observations. First, if, as per the
pandoc manual, “Markdown citations go inside square brackets and are
separated by semicolons” then recommending the following for citations in
footnotes without parentheses is not a valid markdown citation:

[^note]: See @doe for xyz.

Second, this all seems to be an extension of CSL without calling it such.
Namely, I have to decide on the styling of a citation (i.e. whether or not
to wrap the formatted output in parentheses) in my markdown source and not
by applying a CSL style.

I might have gotten the discussion entirely wrong, in which case I
apologise for bothering you.

@ 2020-12-31 16:55                                                                     ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-12-31 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Till Grallert' via pandoc-discuss, pandoc-discuss

"'Till Grallert' via pandoc-discuss"
<pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I am late to the discussion and to this Google group. But since I was
> struck by unexpected behaviour after migrating from pandoc-citeproc to
> citeproc, I would like to share two observations. First, if, as per the
> pandoc manual, “Markdown citations go inside square brackets and are
> separated by semicolons” then recommending the following for citations in
> footnotes without parentheses is not a valid markdown citation:
>
> [^note]: See @doe for xyz.

You just didn't read far enough in the manual.  Read the
description of "in-text" citation syntax.

> Second, this all seems to be an extension of CSL without calling it such.
> Namely, I have to decide on the styling of a citation (i.e. whether or not
> to wrap the formatted output in parentheses) in my markdown source and not
> by applying a CSL style.

No, precisely the opposite. Pandoc is designed so that you can
use the same source and just change the style (even from
author-date to note).

CSL doesn't really deal with the case where citations occur
inside notes in note styles.  (There is some discussion of this
in CSL forums, see the links in this thread.)  CSL is designed
to produce the content of a single complete footnote
corresponding to the citation.