From: John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
To: Jeremy Conlin <jlconlin-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>,
	pandoc-discuss
	<pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Approach to converting large, custom, LaTeX document to restructured text
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 17:50:11 -0700	[thread overview]

It really depends on the details of the document, but if
pandoc is struggling with certain commands and environments,
one approach is to define custom macros for those, which
convert them into something pandoc can handle.

(In a few cases you might get away with just putting the .sty
file in the working directory, so pandoc tries to parse it,
but pandoc usually can't handle the lower-level tex definitions
style files have, so this usually doesn't work.)

For example, if you have a foobar command, just
add this to your document

\renewcommand{foobar}[2]{limit yourself
here to stuff pandoc can handle}

You can often get pretty far with this method.