* How to remove the spaces around citations for CJK document when converted into pdf
@ 2019-04-19 14:48 jiewuza
       [not found] ` <m2mukm8314.fsf-9Onoh4P/yGk@public.gmane.org>
From: jiewuza @ 2019-04-19 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

For example, in my test.md (here XXX stands for CJK text)
```
XXXXX @some-bibkey XXXXX
```

pandoc would convert it into tex like
```
XXXXX \textcite{some-bibkey} XXXXX
```

Note the spaces around `\textcite{some-bibkey}`, which would be
preserved in the final pdf, like
```
XXXXX XXX XXXXX
```

However, for CJK document convention, those spaces are not wanted.

If I removed the spaces in my test.md as
```
XXXXX@some-bibkeyXXXXX
```
The citation is not recognized at all.

I have no idea how to make it in a lua filter.

Or should I resort to any other external tools to do it?

* Re: How to remove the spaces around citations for CJK document when converted into pdf
       [not found] ` <m2mukm8314.fsf-9Onoh4P/yGk@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-04-19 17:52   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-04-19 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jiewuza, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

first suggestion would be to use this form of citation

    XXX[@cite]XXX

Then spaces aren't required.

Second suggestion would be to use a lua filter to
strip spaces.  That's easy enough.

-- nospace.lua
function Space(el)
  return {}
end

This will strip all regular textual spaces in the
document (keeping soft breaks and spaces in code).

@ 2019-04-20 12:36     ` jiewuza
From: jiewuza @ 2019-04-20 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> writes:

> first suggestion would be to use this form of citation
>
>     XXX[@cite]XXX
>
> Then spaces aren't required.

Well, `[@cite]` is converted to `autocite` and `@cite` to `textcite`.
At first I set `autocite` to `supercite` (author not mentioned in the
citation).
In my example, I want to show the author, so I used `@cite` instead of `[@cite]`.

Thank you for your suggestion.
I will learn and try to customize my biblatex settings to make it work.

> Second suggestion would be to use a lua filter to
> strip spaces.  That's easy enough.
>
> -- nospace.lua
> function Space(el)
>   return {}
> end
>
> This will strip all regular textual spaces in the
> document (keeping soft breaks and spaces in code).

In my real document, it is possible to have CJK and English text mixed
together. I guess this `nospace` lua filter will do damage to English
text.

@ 2019-04-21 13:23     ` jiewuza
       [not found]       ` <m2bm0z8pbo.fsf-9Onoh4P/yGk@public.gmane.org>
From: jiewuza @ 2019-04-21 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> writes:

> first suggestion would be to use this form of citation
>
>     XXX[@cite]XXX
>
> Then spaces aren't required.

Well, `[@cite]` is converted to `\autocite` and `@cite` to `\textcite`
in tex (using biblatex). At first I set `\autocite` to `\supercite`. So
when I want to supercite a citation, I use `[@cite]` (which shows a
superscript number in the final pdf), and when I want to textcite a
citation, I use `@cite` instead (which shows the author in the final
pdf). This toggles citation style conveniently.

In my example, I want to show the author, so I used `@cite`.

Your suggestion is helpful. It solves the spaces-problem.
But I also want to keep the toggle-mechanism.
Fortunately, I read in the document `A minus sign (-) before the @ will
suppress mention of the author in the citation.`

However, I find that `[-@cite]` is converted to `\autocite*` in tex.
I cannot configure `\autocite` and `\autocite*` to different commands in
biblatex, so that I can make one show a superscript number while another
show the author.

@ 2019-04-23 18:40         ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2019-04-23 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Maybe you can cheat by using &#x200b; zero width space which if I am not
mistaken is meant exactly for situations like this.

@ 2019-04-24 15:16           ` jiewuza
From: jiewuza @ 2019-04-24 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks.