* alphabetic characters preceded by backslash (\) are ignored
@ 2021-09-16  9:56 Jiashu Zou
       [not found] ` <96580712-620a-4eaa-a4dc-129037bf5f3bn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Jiashu Zou @ 2021-09-16  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

alphabetic characters preceded by backslash (\) are ignored when converting
from markdown to html. Where is this behavior documented? Is it possible to
change?

* Re: alphabetic characters preceded by backslash (\) are ignored
       [not found] ` <96580712-620a-4eaa-a4dc-129037bf5f3bn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-09-16 10:01   ` Jiashu Zou
       [not found]     ` <353fea7b-e95d-4573-9614-693e4213eb92n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Jiashu Zou @ 2021-09-16 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

This behavior does not comply with the CommonMark spec. You can check at
the commonmark.js demo https://spec.commonmark.org/dingus/

@ 2021-09-16 10:18       ` Jiashu Zou
From: Jiashu Zou @ 2021-09-16 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Clarification: by "alphabetic characters preceded by backslash" I mean
alphabetic characters preceded by A SINGLE backslash.

@ 2021-09-16 16:42       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <m2fsu4lbeb.fsf-d8241O7hbXoP5tpWdHSM3tPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-09-16 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiashu Zou, pandoc-discuss

Perhaps you could use the permalink feature on the dingus to give
us a specific example?  I tried \a\b and it worked fine.  But
perhaps you're using some non-latin characters?

@ 2021-09-17  1:23           ` amph...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found]             ` <089b0e7f-6b7d-4770-8f80-d9e9796178a6n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: amph...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2021-09-17  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Nmmm, Not the OP, but the following demonstrates the issue described.

When the input is described as commonmark, all is well. Otherwise, turning
off raw-tex support may be what the OP want.

╰─► pandoc --version
pandoc 2.14.2
Compiled with pandoc-types 1.22, texmath 0.12.3.1, skylighting 0.11,
citeproc 0.5, ipynb 0.1.0.1
User data directory: C:\Users\micro\AppData\Roaming\pandoc
Copyright (C) 2006-2021 John MacFarlane. Web:  https://pandoc.org
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is no
warranty, not even for merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

╰─► echo " aa \a\a \aa bb " | pandoc -f markdown -t html

╰─► echo " aa \a\a \aa bb " | pandoc -f commonmark -t html

╰─► echo " aa \a\a \aa bb " | pandoc -f markdown-raw_tex -t html

--
Rik

@ 2021-09-17  2:49               ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-09-17  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amph...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org, pandoc-discuss

Oh, right.  If you're using `-f markdown`, then `\a` is treated
as a raw tex command.  Turn this off using `-f markdown-raw_tex`
or use `commonmark` or `gfm`.  Thanks Rik.