* Using short titles in subsequent citations
@ 2021-07-27 14:18 ` MK
       [not found]   ` <caa09581-aa09-4031-9551-45663a1b9f4bn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: MK @ 2021-07-27 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi, I'm sure I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure this out.
I'd like for the first instance of a reference to use the first title and
all subsequent instances to use a shortened title (whatever appears before
the colon). So for example the first instance would be:

Jane Doe, *Some Book: Which is Really Good *(Place: Press, Year)

While the second should be:

Doe, *Some Book*

However, each time it reprints the entire title, so even on the second
instance it would be: Doe, *Some Book: Which is Really Good.*

I'm using Chicago CSL and have tried both the one called 'full note, with
ibid.' and 'full note, short title subsequent.'

* AW: Using short titles in subsequent citations
       [not found]   ` <caa09581-aa09-4031-9551-45663a1b9f4bn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-07-29 12:41     ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]       ` <3d5db7ddd92d4af8b68f0c77dc2bf0fb-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2021-07-29 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

How do you supply your bibliographic references? A bibtex-file? CSL-JSON export from Zotero?

And, can you please show us a bit of your reference database. The most likely case is that you don’t have a shorttitle defined.

Denis

Hi, I'm sure I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure this out. I'd like for the first instance of a reference to use the first title and all subsequent instances to use a shortened title (whatever appears before the colon). So for example the first instance would be:

Jane Doe, Some Book: Which is Really Good (Place: Press, Year)

While the second should be:

Doe, Some Book

However, each time it reprints the entire title, so even on the second instance it would be: Doe, Some Book: Which is Really Good.

I'm using Chicago CSL and have tried both the one called 'full note, with ibid.' and 'full note, short title subsequent.'

* Re: Using short titles in subsequent citations
       [not found]       ` <3d5db7ddd92d4af8b68f0c77dc2bf0fb-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-07-29 16:46         ` MK
       [not found]           ` <53a0fe1e-b633-4cda-85e8-1ff81d1f2b06n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: MK @ 2021-07-29 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I use a bibtex file, and you are correct, I don't have any short titles
specified. But I was under the impression that bibtex/pandoc would
automatically shorten titles so that the short title is whatever appears
before the colon--is this not correct?

A reference might look like this:

@Book{somekey,

author = {Doe, Jane},

title = {{This is a title: with a subtitle}},

publisher = {Yale University Press},

address = {New Haven},

year = {year},

@ 2021-07-29 17:55             ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2021-07-29 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I use a bibtex file, and you are correct, I don't have any short titles specified. But I was under the impression that bibtex/pandoc would automatically shorten titles so that the short title is whatever appears before the colon--is this not correct?

Looks like it doesn’t.

A reference might look like this:

@Book{somekey,

author = {Doe, Jane},

title = {{This is a title: with a subtitle}},

publisher = {Yale University Press},

address = {New Haven},

year = {year},

How do you prepare your bibtex file ? Manually ? Or do you use a reference management tool ? Anyway, what you can do is this :
@Book{somekey,
author = {Doe, Jane},
title = {{This is a title: with a subtitle}},
shorttitle = {This is a title},
publisher = {Yale University Press},
address = {New Haven},
year = {year},
}

or this:

@Book{somekey,
author = {Doe, Jane},
title = {{This is a title}},
subtitle = {with a subtitle title},
publisher = {Yale University Press},
address = {New Haven},
year = {year},
}

or even,
@Book{somekey,
author = {Doe, Jane},
title = {{This is a title}},
subtitle = {with a subtitle title},
shorttitle = {title},

@ 2021-07-29 21:55     ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]       ` <m2o8akiy46.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-07-29 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MK, pandoc-discuss

Do you have a 'short-title' field in your CSL bibliography for this
entry?

@ 2021-07-30 16:09         ` MK
       [not found]           ` <ab459950-7840-47e0-8755-a750dc35e558n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: MK @ 2021-07-30 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

You can see in the bibliographic entry that I posted (and below) that
there's no short title field; however is there something in the CSL file
itself that would generate short titles? Or is specifying a short title in
the bibtex file necessary?

@ 2021-07-30 16:23             ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]               ` <m2h7gbhitw.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-07-30 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MK, pandoc-discuss

Normally pandoc will try to extract a short-title from the
title field of a bibtex entry by splitting on the colon.
But this is being blocked in this case because you have
put the whole title in an extra set of braces.

Try with

@ 2021-07-30 16:55                 ` MK
       [not found]                   ` <5fc3f306-82bc-4714-bd88-9291b9f4f2e4n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: MK @ 2021-07-30 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I see! That solved it!
However, I included the double braces because I have quite a few foreign
language titles, and when generating the final document, it would transform
the titles using titlecase. So *Ceci est un livre* would become *Ceci Est
Un Livre*—which is incorrect. Is there another way to stop it from doing
this?

@ 2021-07-30 19:02                     ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2021-07-30 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw,
	mendelkranz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w, jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A

https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#capitalization-in-titles

So, `langid={french}` should do the job.

FWIW, I think an empty langid/lang field should prevent title casing as well. Or am I misunderstanding the documentation here?

@ 2021-07-30 19:07                 ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2021-07-30 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mendelkranz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w,
	pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw,
	jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A

That's a nice new feature that should be documented. How do you prevent false positives?
Will this work:
```
title = {A title{:} without a subtitle},
```

Will it split on other characters as well?

@ 2021-07-31 21:07                     ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-07-31 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MK, pandoc-discuss

You could try: