* Lineblocks in Jats writer
@ 2021-12-13 10:57 denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found] ` <28d7db8315224f719f5b4378afab270c-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2021-12-13 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

currently, the jats writer seems to convert lineblocks to regular paragraphs. Is that correct? If yes, can this behaviour be adjusted?

Best,
Denis

* Re: Lineblocks in Jats writer
       [not found] ` <28d7db8315224f719f5b4378afab270c-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-12-13 12:55   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <87k0g88y05.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2021-12-13 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org writes:

> currently, the jats writer seems to convert lineblocks to regular paragraphs. Is that correct? If yes, can this behaviour be adjusted?

Correct. It might be more appropriate to use a `<verse-group>` with each
line in a `<verse-line>`, but maybe that's too specific? Lineblocks
sometimes contain addresses, those would be mistagged.

--
Albert Krewinkel

* AW: Lineblocks in Jats writer
       [not found]     ` <87k0g88y05.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-12-13 13:08       ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]         ` <07859a49dfab413d81a40faa0818d40b-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2021-12-13 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hmmm, yes, I would have expected to find a <verse-group> in the output. Would it be possible to add this, and distinguish between different kind of lineblocks?

{.verse}
| This is
| my first
| poem

vs.

{.address}
| This is
| my
| address

That should work in commonmark, right? Or we use a div to add that kind of information...

WDYT?

> --
> Albert Krewinkel
> GPG: 8eed e3e2 e8c5 6f18 81fe  e836 388d c0b2 1f63 1124
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-
> discuss/87k0g88y05.fsf%40zeitkraut.de.

* Re: AW: Lineblocks in Jats writer
       [not found]         ` <07859a49dfab413d81a40faa0818d40b-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-12-13 17:39           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <m2czm09zfl.fsf-d8241O7hbXoP5tpWdHSM3tPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-12-13 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

> {.verse}
> | This is
> | my first
> | poem

This syntax would work with `-f commonmark+attributes` if we
had line block support in commonmark, but we don't.

You can of course do something like

::: {.verse}
| This
| is it
:::

which will create a Div containing the line block.

So, we could modify the JATS writer to take a Div with class
"verse" and produce a verse element.   I don't know if that's
too ad hoc.

* AW: AW: Lineblocks in Jats writer
       [not found]             ` <m2czm09zfl.fsf-d8241O7hbXoP5tpWdHSM3tPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-12-14 10:56               ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]                 ` <0efb04f31c3a4d659a30cca620530eb6-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2021-12-14 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw
> This syntax would work with `-f commonmark+attributes` if we had line block
> support in commonmark, but we don't.

Ok.

> You can of course do something like
>
> ::: {.verse}
> | This
> | is it
> :::
>
> which will create a Div containing the line block.
>
> So, we could modify the JATS writer to take a Div with class
> "verse" and produce a verse element.   I don't know if that's
> too ad hoc.

I think that sounds like a good solution. Albert, WDYT? If you think that this could work, maybe we should try to cover other use-cases as well, say addresses. Anything else? What will happen with theses classes when going to other formats?

Best,
Denis

* Re: AW: AW: Lineblocks in Jats writer
       [not found]                 ` <0efb04f31c3a4d659a30cca620530eb6-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-12-14 14:58                   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]                     ` <87czlznsgg.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2021-12-14 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org writes:

>> So, we could modify the JATS writer to take a Div with class
>> "verse" and produce a verse element.   I don't know if that's
>> too ad hoc.
>
> I think that sounds like a good solution. Albert, WDYT? If you think
> that this could work, maybe we should try to cover other use-cases as
> well, say addresses. Anything else? What will happen with theses
> classes when going to other formats?

Sounds good to me.

I think for the general case, output should be changed to use
`<preformat preformat-type="lines">` or something similar. The only
disadvantage of that is that we have to do some extra work to process
math formulae, as those are not allowed contents of `<preformat>`
elements.

If the LineBlock comes wrapped in a Div, then we could use the first
class of the div as the value for `preformat-type`.

--
Albert Krewinkel

* AW: AW: AW: Lineblocks in Jats writer
       [not found]                     ` <87czlznsgg.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-12-15 14:16                       ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]                         ` <e412473bac1948a09884941aed6c4fdf-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2021-12-15 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Another question:
What happens with stuff like this:

```md
| this
| is a
| poem

| with
| two
| stanzas
```

I think in jats this should be rendered with nested verse-groups, right?

Denis

@ 2022-01-13 11:10                           ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2022-01-13 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw