* Pandoc doesn't insert newlines in <code>
@ 2022-06-05  4:40 Hirrolot
       [not found] ` <8efdb324-3ae6-4e63-b653-527984b5a133n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Hirrolot @ 2022-06-05  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I use Pandoc to convert MD files to HTML. Inside MD, I use this:

```
abracadabra abracadabra
abracadabra abracadabra
abracadabra abracadabra
```

(In reality, the lines are much longer.)

Then I style my HTML using CSS and want to add horizontal scrolling.
Specifying a language for the code block works fine because Pandoc
automatically inserts newlines I guess. But if the code block is without a
language (such as the one above), my final code block in HTML just wraps as
ordinary text and I can't fix it.

I tried --wrap=preserve but with no effect. Any ideas?

* Re: Pandoc doesn't insert newlines in <code>
       [not found] ` <8efdb324-3ae6-4e63-b653-527984b5a133n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-06-05 17:35   ` BPJ
       [not found]     ` <CADAJKhCFdpRYJwsnF2TPuiemgTeKcmSU7yCXxSxwDtvP4Y5Adg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-06-05 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Try to use `code` as a "language" (actually a class) on your code blocks,
or something else which is unlikely to ever become the name of a
highlighted language. Pandoc will make it a class on the HTML code tag but
will otherwise ignore it.

The details about attributes on code blocks are at

https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#extension-fenced_code_attributes

@ 2022-06-05 22:48       ` Hirrolot
       [not found]         ` <CA+g-_mopnyL1iDJnSp0br-0-CP1nfb0Co3KhNawL=4Mn+HG7Qg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Hirrolot @ 2022-06-05 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Unfortunately, specifying an unknown language doesn't work either. E.g.:

```{.code}
abracadabra abracadabra
abracadabra abracadabra
abracadabra abracadabra
```

Outputs something like:

Without newlines. However, if I change `code` to e.g. `haskell`, the output
would be:

<pre class="sourceCode haskell">
<code class="sourceCode haskell">...</code>
</pre>

This includes newlines.

@ 2022-06-05 22:49           ` Hirrolot
       [not found]             ` <CA+g-_mrp_5phaWVXavU6kxiF9VMyb23SxNsxJanSFmvNQhgqXA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Hirrolot @ 2022-06-05 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

If I am able to just turn off syntax highlighting for some code block, this
would be also fine. However, I can't figure out how to do that.

@ 2022-06-05 22:54               ` Hirrolot
From: Hirrolot @ 2022-06-05 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Just figured out how to do that:

```{.code .numberLines}
abracadabra abracadabra
abracadabra abracadabra
abracadabra abracadabra
```

This is not exactly what I wanted to do, but it is also nice. The new lines
are inserted properly. It would be nice to do that without numbered lines
also, but personally for me, the issue is resolved. Thank you for your time
and excellent project.

@ 2022-06-06 17:01           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-06-06 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hirrolot, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Sorry, I don't understand.  Here's what I see:

% pandoc
```{.code}
abracadabra abracadabra
abracadabra abracadabra
abracadabra abracadabra
```
^D
<pre class="code"><code>abracadabra abracadabra
abracadabra abracadabra
abracadabra abracadabra</code></pre>

The newlines are there, as you see.