From: John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
To: FI Apps <ffi.appdev-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>,
	pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: Formatting of "ibid" in v2.11.x
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 12:37:09 -0800	[thread overview]

FI Apps <ffi.appdev-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I think it's better to carefully choose a solution and change pandoc-types
> than for SuppressAuthor to have different semantics depending on whether or
> not there's a square bracket in the citation text.

That won't be possible anyway -- I realized that by the time
we're doing the deNote operation (handling note citations inside
notes), the brackets are gone, replaced by a note, and we really
can't distinguish the two forms.  So we would need a chance to
pandoc-types.

> I'm not looking for a BareSuppressAuthor, I'm looking for a normal citation
> in footnote text, which will include the author's name unless it uses ibid.

Right, I do understand that.  I was exploring what could be done
without any changes to the syntax of citations, though.

> If you don't want to change pandoc-types, there is another possible
> solution, which is to not add parentheses to [@foo] in footnotes—returning
> to the 2.10 behavior in that regard. To get parentheses, it would then be
> necessary to write [(@foo)], putting the parentheses inside the brackets so
> that the citation processing code can know to adjust the citation
> accordingly (as citeproc-js does).

Yes, this could be done, but then you won't be able to switch
effortlessly between author-date and note styles -- you'd have
to know ahead of time that you were working in a note style.
(In non-note styles, citeproc itself will add delimiters
according to the style, e.g. parens.)