* Remind me about table widths again...
@ 2021-12-09 23:10 Joseph Reagle
       [not found] ` <05eb0d12-eff1-7f4b-7a7a-d9da8a3d2f33-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2021-12-09 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

At the top of my syllabi I've long had a big chunk of ugly HTML (with spans) for course info and office hours.

I've finally mocked up a nicer markdown grid table that manages without spans.

https://reagle.org/joseph/2021/cda/cda-syllabus-FA.md

However, I wonder why the table and column widths are hard-coded, and not left to be no more than what's necessary?

https://reagle.org/joseph/2021/cda/cda-syllabus-FA.html

Do grid tables always have widths? I'm not using the column parameter, but my table is short than the default of 72...

* Re: Remind me about table widths again...
       [not found] ` <05eb0d12-eff1-7f4b-7a7a-d9da8a3d2f33-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-12-10  5:44   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-12-10  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reagle, pandoc-discuss

Joseph Reagle <joseph.2011-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> writes:

> At the top of my syllabi I've long had a big chunk of ugly HTML (with spans) for course info and office hours.
>
> I've finally mocked up a nicer markdown grid table that manages without spans.
>
> https://reagle.org/joseph/2021/cda/cda-syllabus-FA.md
>
> However, I wonder why the table and column widths are hard-coded, and not left to be no more than what's necessary?

Browsers know how to figure out good widths, but that's not
true for many of the formats pandoc supports (e.g. LateX).
So we parse the table with width information.  Yes, grid
tables always have them -- anything that can accept block-level
content that needs to wrap has to have a width.