* Citeproc is bringing a question mark inside quotes?
@ 2021-06-25 11:37 William Lupton
       [not found] ` <CAEe_xxjq6BMv2UuxKQUdM3JcKReup8XPnwpG_TV-22SqqZ0tXQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: William Lupton @ 2021-06-25 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello,

It seems that adding --citeproc causes a question mark to be brought within
quotes, which I didn't expect. I tried escaping it but this didn't make any
difference. Putting a space before it avoids the behaviour... but I don't
want a space!

Thanks,
William

% pandoc -v
pandoc 2.14.0.3

% cat question.md
'-'?

% pandoc question.md

% pandoc --citeproc question.md

* Re: Citeproc is bringing a question mark inside quotes?
       [not found] ` <CAEe_xxjq6BMv2UuxKQUdM3JcKReup8XPnwpG_TV-22SqqZ0tXQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-06-25 11:47   ` William Lupton
From: William Lupton @ 2021-06-25 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I meant also to ask whether it might be possible for the "try pandoc" site
to allow additional command-line options to be specified? Perhaps just a
fixed set (in addition to the current from, to and standalone)?

@ 2021-06-25 17:47   ` gnpan
       [not found]     ` <b35ebef4-358f-4542-8dda-d68a7c1ab3fan-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: gnpan @ 2021-06-25 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

This is a csl locale issue, US is default. You can try --metadata
lang=en-GB as suggested here <https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/7005> or
add a zero-width-space as mentioned here
<https://groups.google.com/g/pandoc-discuss/c/NiFPVF9TeCg/m/9pHluL3iAgAJ>.

@ 2021-06-25 19:55       ` William Lupton
       [not found]         ` <CAEe_xxhEX0Tev22__+TO7Ksy9=5j53=ZNoq8MWeHXnc2KfE7nA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: William Lupton @ 2021-06-25 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks. I'll look into that. But isn't it a bit strange that this is
happening in a document with no citations?

@ 2021-06-25 20:00           ` William Lupton
From: William Lupton @ 2021-06-25 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Oh, thanks for the references. I see that this behaviour is well understood
and well explained. I should have checked...

@ 2021-06-25 21:24       ` Rik
From: Rik @ 2021-06-25 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 6/25/2021 13:47, gnpan wrote:
> This is a csl locale issue, US is default. You can try --metadata
> lang=en-GB as suggested here
> <https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/7005> or add a zero-width-space as
> mentioned here
> <https://groups.google.com/g/pandoc-discuss/c/NiFPVF9TeCg/m/9pHluL3iAgAJ>.
>

> On Friday, 25 June 2021 at 14:38:07 UTC+3 William Lupton wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     It seems that adding --citeproc causes a question mark to be brought
>     within quotes, which I didn't expect. I tried escaping it but this
>     didn't make any difference. Putting a space before it avoids the
>     behaviour... but I don't want a space!
>
>     Thanks,
>     William
>
>     % pandoc -v
>     pandoc 2.14.0.3
>
>     % cat question.md
>     '-'?
>
>     % pandoc question.md
>
>     % pandoc --citeproc question.md

US practice is to put commas and stops inside the quotation marks of a
quotation and larger punctuation (?!;:) outside, except in the case that
the large punctuation is part of the quoted material (“Who, me?”). So,
US practice supports both.
   Similarly, British (or UK, or GB) practice places marks in a default
position (outside) but allows them inside based on the semantic content.
   If CSL US locale processing is mangling this by moving both large and
small marks in every case, then CSL processing is creating some new
standard. I would suggest that if the proper position cannot be
programmatically determined it should default to what the writer writes.
   Quotation marks are used for other things than quotations. Indeed,
the use in citation processing is such another use. Again the writer
must be trusted to place punctuation properly in context. A.J. Liebling
wrote ‘Do You Belong in Journalism?’ in 1960; did he write it in his
regular column ‘The Wayward Press’?
   The behavior identified here takes place outside of citation
processing. The OP is rightly surprised that it results in changes
beyond that scope.

--
Rik

* Re: Citeproc is bringing a question mark inside quotes?
@ 2021-06-26  6:18         ` gnpan
       [not found]           ` <33940371-e6ec-4176-9483-8f06ec1b75ecn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: gnpan @ 2021-06-26  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

This problem was introduced with citeproc, which applies the style to the
whole document, not just citations - it didn't occur with older versions of
pandoc that used pandoc-citeproc. According to Jim
<https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/7005#issuecomment-754179054>, it
would be tricky to fix this without causing problems with note citations.

@ 2021-06-26  6:21             ` gnpan
From: gnpan @ 2021-06-26  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

sorry, meant jgm (or John)

@ 2021-06-28 17:22   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2eeclnbu5.fsf-jF64zX8BO0+FqBokazbCQ6OPv3vYUT2dxr7GGTnW70NeoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-06-28 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Lupton, pandoc-discuss

In addition to what others have said, I'll note that you can
change the attribute punctuation-in-quote on the style element
of your style to 'false'. That will disable all punctuation
moving around quotes.

Another option (if you just have a few special cases where
you want to defeat this behavior) might be using a zero-width
unicode space.

I'm sympathetic to the complaint that this movement should
only affect citations, not other parts of the document.  I
can't recall at the moment why I implemented it this way.
If someone wants to put up an issue at
https://github.com/jgm/citeproc/issues
requesting that punctuation movement only affect processed
citations, I'll look into it.

* AW: Citeproc is bringing a question mark inside quotes?
       [not found]     ` <m2eeclnbu5.fsf-jF64zX8BO0+FqBokazbCQ6OPv3vYUT2dxr7GGTnW70NeoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-06-28 18:57       ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]         ` <1b63b1d8bacf454e9db84a056d06a00f-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2021-06-28 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw,
	wlupton-QSt+ys/nuMyEUIsrzH9SikB+6BGkLq7r,
	amphiboly-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w, jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A

Hi,

I don't know for sure, of course, but I guess that has two reasons:
1. it's been already that way with pandoc-citeproc.
2. that's been done in the spirit of DRY as this behaviour is also needed for switching from in-text citation styles to note styles, right?

FWIW, maybe this behaviour should be restricted to periods and commas, which will be moved in US English. Or it should be at least made configurable which punctuation marks get moved. And finally, the problem brought up by Rik:

> US practice is to put commas and stops inside the quotation marks of a quotation and  larger punctuation (?!;:) outside, except in the case that the large punctuation is part of the quoted material (“Who, me?”). So, US practice supports both.
> Similarly, British (or UK, or GB) practice places marks in a default position (outside) but allows them inside based on the semantic content.

This brings up the older question of whether we need a more semantically aware punctuation moving mechanism (see https://github.com/jgm/citeproc/issues/6 and already https://github.com/jgm/pandoc-citeproc/issues/354).
Note: There's been a bit of a discussion on this on the org-mode list, with the first implementation about here: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2021-05/msg00714.html
There's been some back and forth since, and we've now settled (more or less) on this:

>  "A quotation ending without punctuation" [cite: @hoel-71-whole].
 > "A quotation ending with a period"[cite: @hoel-71-whole].
>
> IOW, the presence or absence of a space before the citation determines,
> according to a note rule, if the punctuation should go inside or outside
> the quotation. (Nicolas Goaziou, https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2021-06/msg00384.html)

I don't know if that's the best solution, and if that would be a good fit for pandoc conceptually, but I wanted to at least mention it here.

Denis

> If someone wants to put up an issue at
> https://github.com/jgm/citeproc/issues
> requesting that punctuation movement only affect processed citations, I'll look
> into it.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-
> discuss/m2eeclnbu5.fsf%40MacBook-Pro-2.hsd1.ca.comcast.net.

* Re: AW: Citeproc is bringing a question mark inside quotes?
       [not found]         ` <1b63b1d8bacf454e9db84a056d06a00f-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-06-28 22:59           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <m2r1gllhn7.fsf-jF64zX8BO0+FqBokazbCQ6OPv3vYUT2dxr7GGTnW70NeoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-06-28 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw,

<denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org> writes:

>>  "A quotation ending without punctuation" [cite: @hoel-71-whole].
>  > "A quotation ending with a period"[cite: @hoel-71-whole].
>>
>> IOW, the presence or absence of a space before the citation determines,
>> according to a note rule, if the punctuation should go inside or outside
>> the quotation. (Nicolas Goaziou, https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2021-06/msg00384.html)
>
> I don't know if that's the best solution, and if that would be a good fit for pandoc conceptually, but I wanted to at least mention it here.

Can't say I like that much.  It's not intuitive at all what effect
this would have, and aesthetically the lack of the space in the
source is ugly and looks like a mistake.

@ 2021-06-28 23:55           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <m2o8bplf2q.fsf-jF64zX8BO0+FqBokazbCQ6OPv3vYUT2dxr7GGTnW70NeoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-06-28 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw,
	wlupton-QSt+ys/nuMyEUIsrzH9SikB+6BGkLq7r,
	amphiboly-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w

Here's the test that fails if we remove the global punctuation
inside quotes transformation:

    pandoc-citeproc-move-period-inside-quote.md
      #1:                                                            FAIL (0.08s)
        --- test/command/pandoc-citeproc-move-period-inside-quote.md
        +++ pandoc --citeproc -t markdown-citations
        +   1 Here is a "test citation".[^1]
        -   1 Here is a "test citation."[^1]

I can look into whether I can target this better so it only
affects citations.

Also, citeproc brings ! and ? inside quotes; I hadn't noticed
that the CSL spec just says to bring , and . inside. I can change
that.

@ 2021-06-29  5:57               ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-06-29  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw,
	wlupton-QSt+ys/nuMyEUIsrzH9SikB+6BGkLq7r,
	amphiboly-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w

OK, I've just pushed a couple commits that should improve
matters. Further testing is of course welcome.

John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Here's the test that fails if we remove the global punctuation
> inside quotes transformation:
>
>     pandoc-citeproc-move-period-inside-quote.md
>       #1:                                                            FAIL (0.08s)
>         --- test/command/pandoc-citeproc-move-period-inside-quote.md
>         +++ pandoc --citeproc -t markdown-citations
>         +   1 Here is a "test citation".[^1]
>         -   1 Here is a "test citation."[^1]
>
> I can look into whether I can target this better so it only
> affects citations.
>
> Also, citeproc brings ! and ? inside quotes; I hadn't noticed
> that the CSL spec just says to bring , and . inside. I can change
> that.
>
> <denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Hi,

* AW: AW: Citeproc is bringing a question mark inside quotes?
       [not found]             ` <m2r1gllhn7.fsf-jF64zX8BO0+FqBokazbCQ6OPv3vYUT2dxr7GGTnW70NeoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-06-29  8:46               ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]                 ` <ad9e052a2cb84bb2a203ca3eaea55dd1-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2021-06-29  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A,
	pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw,
	wlupton-QSt+ys/nuMyEUIsrzH9SikB+6BGkLq7r,
	amphiboly-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w

Fair enough. Do you have other suggestions how this distinction could be handled?

Somewhere buried in this thread you'll find other suggestions like:

Escape a period not to be moved inside the quotes:
"A quotation ending without punctuation" [@doe]\.
 "A quotation ending with a period" [@doe].

Use a bar prevent punctuation from moving across that barrier:

@ 2021-06-29  8:54               ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]                 ` <bae49311ad1f4a49b925be9caa80a4aa-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2021-06-29  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A,
	pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw,
	wlupton-QSt+ys/nuMyEUIsrzH9SikB+6BGkLq7r,
	amphiboly-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w

Oh, I have probably been confused and confusing... Clearly, regarding citations we should of course abide by the spec, and revise that if necessary. (Here, I think the problem is not so severe since we usually don't have question marks or exclamation marks that are not part of the title. Punctuation that is used to separate bibliographic elements are usally periods or commas anyway.)

But, in with quotations there are a lot of border cases. Like the behaviour prescribed by the Chicago Manual of Style: Put periods and commas inside quotation marks in all cases, but question marks and exclamation marks only if they appear in the quoted matter, i.e. in the original source. And, with German and British: Punctuation should only appear inside quotation marks when it was there in the quoted matter. Sometimes there's even a further restriction: Punctuation should only appear inside quotation marks when it was there in the quoted matter, and if we're quoting a complete sentence.

Denis

@ 2021-06-29  8:57                   ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2021-06-29  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw,
	jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A,
	wlupton-QSt+ys/nuMyEUIsrzH9SikB+6BGkLq7r,
	amphiboly-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w

Addendum: I should have checked the spec first: Yes, it clearly only talks about periods and commas.

> But, in with quotations there are a lot of border cases. Like the behaviour
> prescribed by the Chicago Manual of Style: Put periods and commas inside
> quotation marks in all cases, but question marks and exclamation marks only if
> they appear in the quoted matter, i.e. in the original source. And, with German
> and British: Punctuation should only appear inside quotation marks when it was
> there in the quoted matter. Sometimes there's even a further restriction:
> Punctuation should only appear inside quotation marks when it was there in the
> quoted matter, and if we're quoting a complete sentence.
>
> Denis
>

> > <denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org> writes:
> >
> > > Hi,

* Re: AW: AW: Citeproc is bringing a question mark inside quotes?
       [not found]                 ` <ad9e052a2cb84bb2a203ca3eaea55dd1-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-06-29 17:26                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <m28s2slgz3.fsf-jF64zX8BO0+FqBokazbCQ6OPv3vYUT2dxr7GGTnW70NeoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-06-29 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw,
	wlupton-QSt+ys/nuMyEUIsrzH9SikB+6BGkLq7r,
	amphiboly-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w

Not really fair of me to criticize the proposed solution
without presenting another!  Let me think about it.

<denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Fair enough. Do you have other suggestions how this distinction could be handled?
>
> Somewhere buried in this thread you'll find other suggestions like:
>
> Escape a period not to be moved inside the quotes:
> "A quotation ending without punctuation" [@doe]\.
>  "A quotation ending with a period" [@doe].
>
> Use a bar prevent punctuation from moving across that barrier:
> "A quotation ending without punctuation"| [@doe].
>  "A quotation ending with a period" [@doe].
>
> Denis

* AW: AW: AW: Citeproc is bringing a question mark inside quotes?
@ 2021-07-19 12:25                       ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2021-07-19 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A,
	pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw,
	wlupton-QSt+ys/nuMyEUIsrzH9SikB+6BGkLq7r,
	amphiboly-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w

So, anything new about this? Do you have a suggestion for a better solution?

I was thinking about playing with something like this:
[a quotation]{.quotation final-punct="." source="doe" suffix="p. 45"}
It should be easy enough to deal with this with a filter, but the syntax is obviously rather verbose.

Denis