* Is $header-includes$ too high in default.latex?
@ 2021-05-07 22:31 John Bentley
       [not found] ` <0c7b7414-fe12-41c3-8978-731808fe79b5n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: John Bentley @ 2021-05-07 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

The option `--include-in-header` is specified to "Include contents of FILE,
verbatim, at the end of the header".
https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#option--include-in-header

The option `--include-in-header` sets the template variable `$
header-includes$`.

However, in default.latex the `$header-includes` variable is placed quite
high in the header, preceding quite a number of latex header commands.
Shouldn't  `$header-includes` be placed just before `\begin{document}`?

My motivation is to override prior default settings. Specifically I'm
trying to override `\setlength{\csllabelwidth}{3em}` that gets spit out in
the header when processing citations.

I *can* do this by using --include-before-body/$include-before$ instead.
But that seems like abusing what should be a content option rather than a
coding option.

Of course I could alter default.latex at my end, and use a custom default
template. But I'm trying to avoid that path.

So, is $header-includes$ too high in default.latex?

* Re: Is $header-includes$ too high in default.latex?
       [not found] ` <0c7b7414-fe12-41c3-8978-731808fe79b5n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-05-08 14:36   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-05-08 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Bentley, pandoc-discuss

We've put it as late as possible in the template.
The reason it's not at the very end is that some things
really need to be loaded as late as possible -- if you
look at the changes in this template over time, you'll
see that the migration of header-incldes up was driven
by some real problems.

But it might not be optimal; it could be that we've added
some things to the end of the preamble that don't need to
be there.

I know there's a good reason the language-related and
bibi stuff comes before header-includes.  But the csl commands,
natbib/bibtex commands, and csquotes commands maybe could
move up.  We'd need to check the logs to mae sure there's
not a good reason they're there.  go ahead and submit an
issue on the GitHub tracker so we can think more about this.