* External syntax highlghter CSS
@ 2020-08-29 12:58 arnold...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found] ` <472847d1-1058-4f1f-a13e-b1464c6f6065n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: arnold...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2020-08-29 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hey folks!

Can someone elaborate on why syntax highlighter CSS is embedded into html
markup for EPUB files (as opposed to the default epub.css which is linked)?

I want to customize the syntax highlighter CSS a bit (not just colors).
What are the downsides of specifying -V highlighting-css="" and appending
the customized syntax CSS to default epub.css instead?

* Re: External syntax highlghter CSS
       [not found] ` <472847d1-1058-4f1f-a13e-b1464c6f6065n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-08-30  1:20   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2o8mtx72n.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-08-30  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold...@gmail.com, pandoc-discuss

You can do that, of course, but if you want to customize,
a more robust solution is to use --highlight-style with a
JSON .theme file -- see manual under --highlight-style.

Unlike fiddling with CSS, this will work for every output
format that supports highlighting.

@ 2020-08-30  4:21       ` arnold...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found]         ` <5ecceacc-2a83-4783-8014-435d0c2872d9n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: arnold...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2020-08-30  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I already use --highlight-style, but unfortunately still need to do some
CSS tweaks to improve the EPUB -> MOBI conversion result.

Still, are there any reasons why syntax highlighter CSS is embedded into
html markup for EPUB files? Isn't it simpler to link it instead of
embedding into each chapter? Does it affect how highlighting styles are
applied due to some non-obvious CSS precedence issues on some devices? Is
it safe to append it at the end of epub.css, or it is better to prepend it
to keep the existing order?

@ 2020-08-31 17:12           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-08-31 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold...@gmail.com, pandoc-discuss

Pandoc's HTML writer actually keeps track of whether a page
contains highlighted code, and it only inserts the
highlighting-css into the HTML if it does.

In an epub, this means that the highlighting CSS will only
be included in chapters that actually have highlighted code.

It probably would be better in EPUB just to add the highlighting
CSS as a separate file.  If you think that would have advantages,
go ahead and submit a request on the issue tracker.

I don't think it should matter much whether you put it at the
beginning or the end, but of course it depends on what rules
you have in your CSS.