* Can't make gfm_auto_identifiers work
@ 2020-09-25  3:44 Sean Evans
       [not found] ` <d7cdce51-3057-406d-a2d5-265ca08f3877n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Sean Evans @ 2020-09-25  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Howdy,

I am attempting to convert from docx to GFM, but seem to be missing
something about how to enable gfm_auto_identifiers correctly. I have
headers with periods in them (eg - "Step 1. Do This"), and the identifiers
that get constructed for the TOC still contain these periods. This is the
command I'm using:

$ pandoc -f docx -t gfm+gfm_auto_identifiers --toc -s SomeFile.docx -o
SomeOtherFile.md

This results in TOC entries like: "[Step 1. Do This](#step-1.-do-this)"

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Sean

* Re: Can't make gfm_auto_identifiers work
       [not found] ` <d7cdce51-3057-406d-a2d5-265ca08f3877n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-09-25 16:39   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2pn69zu83.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-09-25 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Evans, pandoc-discuss

The gfm_auto_identifiers extension affects readers, not writers
(that's why it's not doing anything when you try to attach it
to the writer).

The identifiers are generated in the parsing phase.

Unfortunately, the docx reader doesn't support it (currently ...
perhaps it wouldn't be hard to add this).

A workaround might be going docx -> markdown, then
markdown+gfm_auto_identiifers -> gfm.

@ 2020-09-25 16:54       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-09-25 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Evans, pandoc-discuss

John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> writes:

> The gfm_auto_identifiers extension affects readers, not writers
> (that's why it's not doing anything when you try to attach it
> to the writer).
>
> The identifiers are generated in the parsing phase.
>
> Unfortunately, the docx reader doesn't support it (currently ...
> perhaps it wouldn't be hard to add this).

I've fixed this for next release.