* How to deal with quotation marks from html to LaTeX
@ 2022-03-02  4:38 jiewuza
From: jiewuza @ 2022-03-02  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

In the html, there is some text like `"content with quotation marks"`.
The quotation marks are kept the same when it is converted to latex.
However, it shows ugly in pdf.
I want to have `` and '' instead.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://www.piaohong.tk/newsgroup

* Re: How to deal with quotation marks from html to LaTeX
@ 2022-03-02 10:08 ` Gisbert W. Selke
From: Gisbert W. Selke @ 2022-03-02 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Not sure whether I understand properly, the beginning quote-mark looks like
what LaTeX should be able to cope with, but the ending quote-mark seems
non-standard.
In any case, you might try https://github.com/odkr/pandoc-quotes.lua; may
ned some tweaking if you have non-standard quote-mark coding.

@ 2022-03-02 17:16 ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-03-02 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jiewuza, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

What you want is

pandoc -f html+smart -t latex

This will convert the quotes.

@ 2022-03-04 14:40   ` jiewuza
From: jiewuza @ 2022-03-04 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks. It works.

In fact I checked the smart extention in the manual before I post. It mentions some formats support except html, which makes me think the extension is not available from html to latex.

I also find another issue. Neither `---` or `--` is converted to em-dash or en-dash with smart extension from html to latex.

--

John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> 写入消息新闻:

@ 2022-03-04 17:58     ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-03-04 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jiewuza, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

jiewuza <jiewuza-9Onoh4P/yGk@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Thanks. It works.
>
> In fact I checked the smart extention in the manual before I post. It mentions some formats support except html, which makes me think the extension is not available from html to latex.

OK, I'll have a look at the manual.

> I also find another issue. Neither `---` or `--` is converted to em-dash or en-dash with smart extension from html to latex.

They are parsed as em- and en-dash but then converted back to ---
and --, because these are standard ligatures for em and en dash
in LaTeX.  If you convert to PDF you'll see that it works.