* powerpoint output to 169 format?
@ 2021-12-18 16:59 ivo....-xwz7R8GQi1g@public.gmane.org
       [not found] ` <e8eca892-c1f2-4209-9934-b679a5d93978n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: ivo....-xwz7R8GQi1g@public.gmane.org @ 2021-12-18 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

The pandoc powerpoint driver seems to prefer 4:3.  The powerpoint default
is 16:9 these days.  Is there a way for powerpoint not to set 4:3?

* Re: powerpoint output to 169 format?
       [not found] ` <e8eca892-c1f2-4209-9934-b679a5d93978n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-12-18 19:44   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m24k757l6n.fsf-d8241O7hbXoP5tpWdHSM3tPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-12-18 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ivo....-xwz7R8GQi1g@public.gmane.org, pandoc-discuss

You can change this by using a reference-doc.

pandoc --print-default-data-file reference.pptx > reference.pptx

Now open reference.pptx with Powerpoint.

Go to Page Setup and change the aspect ratio.

Save.

Now use

pandoc --reference-doc reference.pptx input.md -o output.pptx

Maybe we should change the default to 16:9.  Comments welcome on
this.

@ 2022-01-02 21:37       ` ivo....-xwz7R8GQi1g@public.gmane.org
       [not found]         ` <1ed43dcc-b0ae-469e-a3c1-590b5eea0d33n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: ivo....-xwz7R8GQi1g@public.gmane.org @ 2022-01-02 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

mille grazie.

given that powerpoint itself has moved to 16:9, I think it would probably
be a better default.

the template trick is supercool.  I had not realized this.  I will try to
stick a modified version into my .pandoc/templates folder.  Is there a
standard name (like default.pptx) that pandoc picks up?

@ 2022-01-02 22:01           ` ivo....-xwz7R8GQi1g@public.gmane.org
       [not found]             ` <94f00f2b-6407-4811-a5fb-250f4858d774n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: ivo....-xwz7R8GQi1g@public.gmane.org @ 2022-01-02 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I tried to change the default font size in the default (reference) pptx,
but pandoc did not pick this one up.  :-(

@ 2022-01-02 22:59           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-01-02 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ivo....-xwz7R8GQi1g@public.gmane.org, pandoc-discuss

I've switched the default aspect ratio to 16:9.

@ 2022-01-02 23:00               ` ivo....-xwz7R8GQi1g@public.gmane.org
       [not found]                 ` <b9f2c295-a355-4bdc-90a7-58cd61694854n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: ivo....-xwz7R8GQi1g@public.gmane.org @ 2022-01-02 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

apologies for all the comments.  I am guessing that the 16:9 format is
useful only if you / one can also change the defaults for the PowerPoint
font sizes.

on PowerPoint macos, the default 16:9 font size for first-level bullet
points seems to be Calibri 28pt.  This means the default vanilla
presentation has 8-9 lines of bullet points.

on pandoc, the output default font-size for first-level bullet points is
Calibri 32pt.

  - in 4:3, pandoc thus also has about 8-9 lines of bullet points;
  - in 169, the font remains the same 32pt, which now means only 6-7 lines
of bullet points.

6-7 lines is too few IMHO.  Ergo, 16:9 output should go with slightly
smaller fonts.  For reference, the powerpoint defaults that I am getting are

- title: 60pt
- subtitle: 24pt
- header title: 44pt, Light
- body points, level 1: 28pt
- body points, level 2: 24pt

regards, /iaw

@ 2022-01-03  2:30                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <m2fsq51rg0.fsf-jF64zX8BO0+FqBokazbCQ6OPv3vYUT2dxr7GGTnW70NeoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-01-03  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ivo....-xwz7R8GQi1g@public.gmane.org, pandoc-discuss

I just tried it, and I got eight bullets on the screen.
Font size seems to be around 24pt. I think Powerpoint
scaled it automatically when I changed the aspect ratio.

@ 2022-01-03 18:36                       ` ivo....-xwz7R8GQi1g@public.gmane.org
       [not found]                         ` <34686c0e-c90a-4d27-82ed-28e950548c04n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: ivo....-xwz7R8GQi1g@public.gmane.org @ 2022-01-03 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I just found out by experimentation in macos PowerPoint 16.56 (2021,
Microsoft 365 subscription) something really strange.

Put the cursor on any of the bullet points, and you see that the bullet
text is all 32pt.

However, if you now type a single character, all bullet points change
instantly from 32pt to 22pt.

This has to be a bug somewhere...

> pandoc --reference-doc ~/.pandoc/templates/default.pptx -s -t pptx
bullet-points.md -o bullet-points.pptx

and

---
title: "test bullets"
author: "me"
---

# Simple Slide

* 1 bullet
* 2 bullets
* 3 bullets
* 4 bullets
* 5 bullets
* 6 bullets
* 7 bullets
* 8 bullets
* 9 bullets

# Another slide

@ 2022-01-03 18:54                           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                             ` <m2h7aklkfc.fsf-jF64zX8BO0+FqBokazbCQ6OPv3vYUT2dxr7GGTnW70NeoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-01-03 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ivo....-xwz7R8GQi1g@public.gmane.org, pandoc-discuss

Are you using the dev version?  Try using the nightly,
but without a reference-doc.
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/actions/runs/1648435353

@ 2022-01-04 17:34                               ` ivo....-xwz7R8GQi1g@public.gmane.org
From: ivo....-xwz7R8GQi1g@public.gmane.org @ 2022-01-04 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)