* problems with markdown to epub
@ 2021-11-03  1:19 David Peng
       [not found] ` <77fa1b8f-2ae4-4b15-afc2-22be2c4b0bc9n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: David Peng @ 2021-11-03  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Dear all,

I am trying to use pandoc to convert a large markdown file (14M, English,
utf-8) to epub with several issues:

1. large memory consumption (more than 100GB) and exit with "killed:9".
2. I try to divide the file into 2 or 4, but the first part still fails
with "killed: 9".
3. For part that can be converted, some sections are missing.

If help, I can upload my source markdown to the forum.

I am using pandoc 2.16 mac os version. My OS has been just upgraded to
Monterey (12.0.1).

Thanks,

David

* Re: problems with markdown to epub
       [not found] ` <77fa1b8f-2ae4-4b15-afc2-22be2c4b0bc9n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-11-03  1:23   ` David Peng
       [not found]     ` <7f50bf64-2655-4d0a-a1ef-75fba7219f1dn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: David Peng @ 2021-11-03  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

The md file is uploaded
to https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cQO0trSTObSq4Gk-_CwrQvo991fiTC_a/view?usp=sharing

The command to convert is:

pandoc -o h.epub h.md --toc --toc-depth=2

@ 2021-11-03  2:35   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-11-03  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Peng, pandoc-discuss

I'll look into it, but there are known performance issues
with the standard markdown parser.  For better performance,
use the commonmark parser, e.g.

pandoc -f commonmark h.md -o h.epub

This finished in about 15 seconds on my system.

@ 2021-11-03  3:57       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-11-03  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Peng, pandoc-discuss

The root of the problem is the square brackets used to mark
Tibetan names: see this open issue:
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/1735

A global replace of [ -> \[ and ] -> \] fixed the problem.