* line breaking in grid table cells
@ 2021-06-09 14:44 John MacFarlane
       [not found] ` <m2o8cf9jy7.fsf-jF64zX8BO0+iXxlc9qkzFr9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-06-09 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'd like to get feedback about a possible change in the
way pandoc formats grid tables (used in markdown, rst, muse,
and haddock).

Currently column widths are strictly enforced, so if a table
cell contains a long verbatim code snippet or a long URL, it
will be broken up so that the contents fit into the cell.

An alternate behavior, suggested in
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/4572,
would be to let the cell expand past its prescribed width
to accommodate the "unbreakable" content.

PR #4572 suggests making this available as an option, but
I'm thinking maybe it should just be the default behavior,
and I wonder if people could comment on that.  We could emit
a warning when cell widths are expanded to fit content.