* Missing space before note in bibliography
@ 2021-05-31 18:11 amph...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found] ` <fe336e5d-ae33-41f6-99e3-b734f0334fc9n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: amph...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2021-05-31 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

With the ConTeXt and Docx writers (at least) a space is not inserted before
the note in reference entries when using an annotated style.

Using apa-annotated-bibliography and the following markdown file:

---
references:
- type: article-journal
  id: WatsonCrick1953
  author:
  - family: Watson
    given: J. D.
  - family: Crick
    given: F. H. C.
  issued:
    date-parts:
    - - 1953
      - 4
      - 25
  title: 'Molecular structure of nucleic acids: a structure for
    deoxyribose nucleic acid'
  title-short: Molecular structure of nucleic acids
  container-title: Nature
  volume: 171
  issue: 4356
  page: 737-738
  DOI: 10.1038/171737a0

the docx result is:

[image: Screenshot 2021-05-31 140026.png]
This also occurs with the chicago-annotated-bibliography csl file and so
does not appear to be related to the csl file itself.

--
Rik

[-- Attachment #2: Screenshot 2021-05-31 140026.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 29945 bytes --]

* Re: Missing space before note in bibliography
       [not found] ` <fe336e5d-ae33-41f6-99e3-b734f0334fc9n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-05-31 20:54   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2o8cqwrnu.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-05-31 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amph...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org, pandoc-discuss

I may have made a mistake in implementing citeproc, but as far
as I can see, the chicago-annotated-bibliography doesn't call
for a space here. The structure is

<layout suffix=".">
 <group delimiter=". ">
   (omitted elements)
 </group>
 <text variable="note" display="block"/>
</layout>

So, this calls for a ". " between each of (omitted elements),
but the note comes after this group and isn't subject to that
delimiter.  This could be fixed with a prefix=" " on the
text element there.  But undoubtedly there's some citeproc
subtlety I'm missing...can any CSL experts comment on this?

"amph...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org" <amphiboly-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> With the ConTeXt and Docx writers (at least) a space is not inserted before
> the note in reference entries when using an annotated style.
>
> Using apa-annotated-bibliography and the following markdown file:
>
> ---
> references:
> - type: article-journal
>   id: WatsonCrick1953
>   author:
>   - family: Watson
>     given: J. D.
>   - family: Crick
>     given: F. H. C.
>   issued:
>     date-parts:
>     - - 1953
>       - 4
>       - 25
>   title: 'Molecular structure of nucleic acids: a structure for
>     deoxyribose nucleic acid'
>   title-short: Molecular structure of nucleic acids
>   container-title: Nature
>   volume: 171
>   issue: 4356
>   page: 737-738
>   DOI: 10.1038/171737a0
>
> the docx result is:
>
> [image: Screenshot 2021-05-31 140026.png]
> This also occurs with the chicago-annotated-bibliography csl file and so
> does not appear to be related to the csl file itself.
>
> --
> Rik
>
> --

* AW: Missing space before note in bibliography
       [not found]     ` <m2o8cqwrnu.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-06-03 10:32       ` denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ
       [not found]         ` <a9c6df44728742eda4dfff424edcdcab-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ @ 2021-06-03 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, amphiboly-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w

it's the `display="block"` attribute.

This is what Zotero/Word gives me:

[cid:image001.png-PN+g0PreyX4x5RppSkBQnjRmByFHzeGd@public.gmane.org]

The period on its own line is probably a bit odd, but the note field («Blablablabla bla») happens to be on its own line as well.

Best

Denis

[-- Attachment #2: image001.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 9506 bytes --]

@ 2021-06-03 10:38           ` denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ
       [not found]             ` <d5868942f78444a4bf94351aedfe8f3c-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ @ 2021-06-03 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, amphiboly-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w

By the way:

LaTeX output:
```
\hypertarget{refs}{}
\begin{CSLReferences}{1}{0}
\leavevmode\hypertarget{ref-WatsonCrick1953}{}%
Watson, J. D., and F. H. C. Crick. {``Molecular Structure of Nucleic
Acids: A Structure for Deoxyribose Nucleic Acid.''} \emph{Nature} 171,
no. 4356 (April 25, 1953): 737--38.
\url{https://doi.org/10.1038/171737a0}
\CSLBlock{Note this!}

\end{CSLReferences}
```

LaTeX-PDF-output:
[cid:image002.png-CHo9vTACyokc1+EJhHVJpDRmByFHzeGd@public.gmane.org]
So, although `\CSLBLock` seems to be defined, it has no visible consequence in the output.

ConTeXt-output:
```
\startcslreferences

\reference[ref-WatsonCrick1953]{}%
Watson, J. D., and F. H. C. Crick. “Molecular Structure of Nucleic
Acids: A Structure for Deoxyribose Nucleic Acid.” {\em Nature} 171, no.
4356 (April 25, 1953): 737--38.
\useURL[url1][https://doi.org/10.1038/171737a0]\from[url1]Note this!

\stopcslreferences
```
The ConTeXt-writer does not use a \CSLBlock or similar.

Best,
Denis

The period on its own line is probably a bit odd, but the note field («Blablablabla bla») happens to be on its own line as well.

Best

Denis

[-- Attachment #3: image002.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 32878 bytes --]

@ 2021-06-03 10:45               ` denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ
       [not found]                 ` <ac34fce89fd542d0a9f378b0c5457f9f-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ @ 2021-06-03 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

\\On LaTeX:
\CSLBlock is defined as
\newcommand{\CSLBlock}[1]{#1\hfill\break}
That explains why it has no visible output in this case:
This code will fill the current line after the input, but it will not move the element to the next line.

Now, chicago-annotated-bibliography.csl does not follow the advice given in the CSL specification :
« If used, all rendering elements should be under the control of a display attribute."

So, I guess the elements before the note should have a display attribute as well, but we may also consider whether
\newcommand{\CSLBlock}[1]{\linebreak#1\hfill\break}
or something similar might be an option...

Denis

[cid:image002.png-CHo9vTACyomUumPdLrUgUjRmByFHzeGd@public.gmane.org]
So, although `\CSLBLock` seems to be defined, it has no visible consequence in the output.

ConTeXt-output:
```
\startcslreferences

\reference[ref-WatsonCrick1953]{}%
Watson, J. D., and F. H. C. Crick. “Molecular Structure of Nucleic
Acids: A Structure for Deoxyribose Nucleic Acid.” {\em Nature} 171, no.
4356 (April 25, 1953): 737--38.
\useURL[url1][https://doi.org/10.1038/171737a0]\from[url1]Note this!

\stopcslreferences
```
The ConTeXt-writer does not use a \CSLBlock or similar.

Best,
Denis

The period on its own line is probably a bit odd, but the note field («Blablablabla bla») happens to be on its own line as well.

Best

Denis

[-- Attachment #2: image002.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 32878 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: image003.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 9506 bytes --]

* Re: AW: Missing space before note in bibliography
       [not found]         ` <a9c6df44728742eda4dfff424edcdcab-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-06-05 20:45           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <m25yysxcqa.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-06-05 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ,
	pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw,
	amphiboly-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w

Ah yes.  Can someone create an issue on our tracker?
https://github.com/jgm/citeproc

<denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Hi,
>

> it's the `display="block"` attribute.
>

> This is what Zotero/Word gives me:
>

> [cid:image001.png-PN+g0PreyX4x5RppSkBQnjRmByFHzeGd@public.gmane.org]
>

> The period on its own line is probably a bit odd, but the note field («Blablablabla bla») happens to be on its own line as well.
>

> Best
>
> Denis

* AW: AW: Missing space before note in bibliography
       [not found]             ` <m25yysxcqa.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-06-07 10:04               ` denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ
From: denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ @ 2021-06-07 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Done. I've added it to the pandoc issue tracker because this is likely a pandoc issue.

@ 2021-06-07 14:04                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <m2pmwxwz37.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-06-07 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ,
	pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

<denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ@public.gmane.org> writes:

> So, I guess the elements before the note should have a display attribute as well, but we may also consider whether
> \newcommand{\CSLBlock}[1]{\linebreak#1\hfill\break}
> or something similar might be an option...

That seems plausible!  Would you like to test this change to the
default template and submit a PR?

If it's right, we'd need similar changes in docx and HTML (which
are the only writers so far that really support block structure,
if I recall).

@ 2021-06-07 21:53                       ` denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ
       [not found]                         ` <95b7439a50ef408a97dc67c268d4e39c-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ @ 2021-06-07 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)