* epub : footnote backlink character not rendered by Kobo fonts
@ 2021-09-21  7:34 Vin Cent
       [not found] ` <349480b0-92cd-450f-abc0-f3d65140d23cn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Vin Cent @ 2021-09-21  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I am generating epub3 from latex source.
I was wondering why footnotes show a backlink to the original text when I
display the document in calibre, and why they do not when I display the
document on a kobo reader...

... until I found the backlink is indeed well present. It is "just" not
displayed by kobo because the character set (by pandoc, I think) has no
rendering on their font.

The backlink character, copied and pasted from the .epub document itself,
seems to be "↩︎".

I see two possible tricks here so that the link will appear on kobo :
1. Change the character to another one that would be rendered by kobo.
2. Change the default font of the document to one that has rendering for
that character.

I have tried all available fonts on my device. There are actually three
classes of them.
(Listing them all below, this might be of interest to somebody in the
future)

Avenir Next ; Georgia ; Kobo Nickel : these fonts render absolutely nothing
for that character, leading the human to believe the backlink does not
exist. It is present, clickable, just not rendered.

Amasis ; Caecilia ; Gill Sans ; Malabar ; OpenDislexic : these fonts render
"__" for that character. I find it "better" than the first family, but
still not great. It is not obvious for a non-tehnical human that this is a
backlink to the text.

AR UDJingxihei ; Kobo UD Kakugo ; Kobo Tsukishi Mincho : display oriental
character (I think this is chinese / japanese depending on font) for the
backlink character.

Therefore, I tend to favor the first solution. Do you guys know of a way to
customize the "backlink ↩︎" character set by pandoc in epub ?
Or is there a third approach ?

Thanks,

Vincent

* Re: epub : footnote backlink character not rendered by Kobo fonts
       [not found] ` <349480b0-92cd-450f-abc0-f3d65140d23cn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-09-21  8:42   ` Vin Cent
       [not found]     ` <23e0bec1-2642-49d7-b6d5-d440caf74fdcn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Vin Cent @ 2021-09-21  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Sorry for answering myself. I have RTFMed a bit in the while.
I actually hint this can be simply done with a LUA filter.
I will try to implement it as a self-exercice and report the result here.

@ 2021-09-21 12:23       ` Vin Cent
       [not found]         ` <68257f93-0fd1-46a1-9e99-46d6045dc4b9n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Vin Cent @ 2021-09-21 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Ok, after some more reading, I'm still unsure how to proceed ; and I
actually don't see how I could to that with a filter.
I have dumped pandoc's native output format ; and the character I need to
replace is not part of it. I guess it is added at the time of pandoc's
writing the output document.
I don't know how how I can replace that character. Hopefully there is a
pandoc setting I can tune so that I won't need to replace it at some late
stage.

@ 2021-09-21 14:09           ` William Lupton
       [not found]             ` <CAEe_xxiSZbwmOYcdd5nKSqySuF8L4tvPbrD+-kXDcONXu3n4hQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: William Lupton @ 2021-09-21 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

This probably won't be the answer that you wanted, but you could use a
custom writer, e.g., based on the provided sample.lua. See
https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#custom-writers.

Here's the relevant code (this isn't all the code relating to footnotes,
but it's the bit that has the special character!):

function Note(s)
    local num = #notes + 1
    -- insert the back reference right before the final closing tag.
    s = string.gsub(
        s, '(.*)</', '%1 <a href="#fnref' .. num ..  '">&#8617;</a></')
    -- add a list item with the note to the note table.
    table.insert(notes, '<li id="fn' .. num .. '">' .. s .. '</li>')
    -- return the footnote reference, linked to the note.
    return '<a id="fnref' .. num .. '" href="#fn' .. num ..
end

@ 2021-09-22 16:39               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <m2r1dg36ow.fsf-d8241O7hbXoP5tpWdHSM3tPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-09-22 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Lupton, pandoc-discuss

A custom writer is probably overkill. It would be easier to write
a small script that unzips the epub, does search and replace
on the xhtml files, and then zips it back up again.  This could
be 3 lines of shell script.

That said, this is a long standing issue and we might consider
using a different character or making it configurable:

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/3149

@ 2021-09-22 20:08                   ` Vin Cent
       [not found]                     ` <e216efa7-009b-469a-add1-ae8c93d0ffc3n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Vin Cent @ 2021-09-22 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks. Shell script written ; works like a charm.
If that counts, I vote for the #3149 change/configure character approach :)

If that can ease anybody's life, here is my shell script (more than 3
lines, but should be safe and leave no trace in case of failure) :

#!/bin/sh

FN="ebook.epub"
ZIPNAME="ebook.zip"
CWD=`pwd`

if [ ! -f $FN ]; then
  exit 1
fi

if [ ! -d $MYDIR ]; then
  exit 2
fi

MYDIR=`mktemp -d`
cleanup()
{
  cd $CWD
  rm -rf $MYDIR
  exit $1
}

mv $FN ${MYDIR}/${ZIPNAME} || cleanup 3
cd $MYDIR || cleanup 4
unzip $ZIPNAME || cleanup 5
rm -f $ZIPNAME || cleanup 6
cd EPUB/text || cleanup 7
sed -i -e 's/>↩︎<\/a>/>‡<\/a>/g' *html || cleanup 8
rm -f $ZIPNAME || cleanup 9
cd ../.. || cleanup 10
zip -8 -r ${CWD}/${ZIPNAME} * || cleanup 11
cd $CWD || cleanup 12
mv $ZIPNAME $FN || cleanup 13
rm -rf $MYDIR

@ 2021-09-27  1:36                       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-09-27  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vin Cent, pandoc-discuss

That's great -- if you add your script to the discussion at

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/3149

then perhaps others who could benefit from it will find it more easily.