* Page-internal links in vimwiki conversions
@ 2019-10-19 14:26 A.M.Price
       [not found] ` <20191019142643.v7vf2tpikdmkvfzd-Wn/hoZYXku777SC2UrCW1FMQynFLKtET@public.gmane.org>
From: A.M.Price @ 2019-10-19 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hello,

I have been using vimwiki to keep a personal wiki. Originally, I was
unaware of the existence of the vimwiki-reader, and actually started
writing this mail for a different purpose (I was struggling to get
internal links to work), but I guess I had some human errors and hadn't
tried the vimwiki reader systematically enough (my guess is I pointed
pandoc at the wrong .md file.)

In any case, having solved my issue, I would like to raise an amended
issue - is it possible to have pandoc use pandoc-citeproc with biblatex
for citations within vimwiki? Currently, I use footnotes (which are an
indpendent issue, but easily fixed - I'll redress below).

Currently, if I enter a pandoc markdown citation such as [@hogberg2006],
pandoc will escape all these characters upon conversion, such that the
output is \[\@hogberg20065\]. This is not ideal should one wish to
keep a vimwiki that is exportable with a reference list (althugh,
<i>granted</i>, it is an issue with the original vimwiki markdown, and
not pandoc). Given that the [see @foobar] syntax isn't used in vimwiki,
would it be possible to add this functionality?

The desired behaviour would be that, upon conversion to html, .tex, or
.pdf, that the pandoc-citeproc filter or --biblatex would function as
when converting from Pandoc markdown. While it is certainly possible to
go from vimwiki markdown -> pandoc markdown -> .html/.tex/.pdf, this seems to me it should be the default behaviour when these filters are supplied, given that: (i) the syntax is not used for anything in vimwiki, and (ii) there is a clear use-case for the conversion.

I'd very much welcome your thoughts or advice. Apologies if I am clearly
doing something incorrect with pandoc.

To address the footnotes - and I have easily solved this myself with
some scripting - when converting from an (informal - it's not an
official feature) footnote in pandoc where you have a link [[#1]] that
points to a later anchor `*1*:`, this gives you a link at the [[#1]] in
pnadoc's output document, but not a link to go back up. Essentially,
what I my script does is change it into pandoc markdown footnotes. This
is fine, but I wonder if there wouldn't be interest in others for this
feature to be implemented into the vimwiki reader.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you are all having a good day,
A.M.Price

* Re: Page-internal links in vimwiki conversions
       [not found] ` <20191019142643.v7vf2tpikdmkvfzd-Wn/hoZYXku777SC2UrCW1FMQynFLKtET@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-10-21  5:39   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-10-21  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: A.M.Price, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

"A.M.Price" <amprice-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Currently, if I enter a pandoc markdown citation such as [@hogberg2006],
> pandoc will escape all these characters upon conversion, such that the
> output is \[\@hogberg20065\]. This is not ideal should one wish to
> keep a vimwiki that is exportable with a reference list (althugh,
> <i>granted</i>, it is an issue with the original vimwiki markdown, and
> not pandoc). Given that the [see @foobar] syntax isn't used in vimwiki,
> would it be possible to add this functionality?

It's technically possible; we'd need to make vimwiki input
sensitive to the 'citations' extension.  Usually I'm hesitant to
do this sort of thing -- since the syntax in question is not
part of vimwiki.  I believe there may be some precedent however
with citations in org mode.