* Pandoc #4317 side effect
@ 2019-08-27 14:02 Thomas Chevrier
       [not found] ` <6a083675-a292-4bad-9ff4-8d834c477239-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Thomas Chevrier @ 2019-08-27 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi folks,

John MacFarlane asked me to post here - hence this message.

Indeed, I posted a comment on https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/4317 and
very very cool - John MacFarlane responded immediately (I thank him
profusely for that).
I copy the exchange below.
Could anyone please assist me!?
I would v very much appreciate!

Kindly note I also posted a more detailed explanation of my issue on
StackOverflow but since he suggested I post it here, here we go...
Any channel works for me, if you can help.
Many m thanks
thomas

PS (only because I need to vent my frustration! :-)): I do not understand
why revealjs would publish on slides content that's not meant to be on
slides, but of course, the reason for my lack of understanding is that I
have never used revealjs!! I feel frustrated that another software makes
pandoc behave "strangely" imho where content not meant to be on a slide (if
it was, it should be in the proper heading - level 3 in my case??) is
forced to appear on a slide without escape options... I do understand the
consistency concern though, again - it's just odd.

tchevri <https://github.com/tchevri> commented 5 days ago
<https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/4317#issuecomment-524002872>

I am so sorry to trouble - but this (unexpected!) change has caused me
quite a bit of trouble...
I am certain it's because of my incompetence and despite trying hard, i
could not find any work around, except to roll back to an earlier pandoc..
(have not rolled back yet, but that's the obvious fix for me). I posted the
detailed explanation here, as per Xie YiHui's advice...
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/57614387/pandoc-4317-forces-content-under-title-slides-to-be-included-in-a-frame-in-pand
Thank you so much for any help you may provide. I hope it's an obvious fix
for you. Of course, I am happy to provide any code needed - but fyi - i am
under windows 10 (I prefer linux, but unfortunately the Rblpapi only works
with windows 10 :-() and everything is fully up to date. I like to use the
RStudio IDE.
[image: @jgm] <https://github.com/jgm>

Ownerjgm <https://github.com/jgm> commented 4 days ago
<https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/4317#issuecomment-524169706>

@tchevri <https://github.com/tchevri> I'm sorry about this -- it appears
one can't please everyone. Unfortunately your particular use wasn't
represented in the discussion. I had assumed that people who didn't want
the content to appear on slides could simply hide the content (using a
filter or whatever), but your case is different; you don't want to hide the
content; you want it to appear in the document outside the slide
environment.

I'm reluctant to revert the change to beamer, since this would make
revealjs and beamer behave differently, and because it would break things
for other users.

But I can't think of a good workaround right now.

I suggest you post on the pandoc-discuss mailing list, where someone might
have ideas...closed issues aren't a good place for discussions.