* Character escapes in asciidoc
@ 2021-04-29  4:08 Jason Miller
       [not found] ` <5c3d5ae9-c427-402e-90bd-41705fdbcb1an-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason Miller @ 2021-04-29  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

~, *, +, and _ must be escaped in some cases for asciidoc (and all cases
when doubled).  The rules for when they must be escaped is fairly confusing
and backslash-escaping is disallowed when either the escaping is
non-mandatory or the characters are doubled.

I'm willing to submit a patch, but wanted some thoughts on the approach
first

Simple test-case that shows the issue:

---
pandoc -f html -t asciidoctor /dev/stdin <<EOF
EOF
---

Will yield identical asciidoc (with strong tag) for both paragraphs and
results in bolded text for both cases.

I have found two ways to escape that work in both asciidoc and asciidoctor
(with examples using an asterisk):

1. Define an attribute for each character that needs to be escaped, and use
that; the definitions can go anywhere in the document before being used,
with the header being typical:

---
:star: *

{star}
---

2. Use a passthrough:

---
pass:specialcharacters[*]
---

#2 lets you escape any arbitrary strings, so escapeString could just render
any string with special characters as:

pass:specialcharacters[this is some text that has * special + characters]

I'm leaning towards implementing #2 as it's easier to implement and #1
requires rendering the header correctly.  #1 probably is closer to how I
would hand-write these escapes though.