* Enabling the new citeproc from a defaults file
@ 2021-01-27  1:31 Matthew Jolly
       [not found] ` <0b35e04f-6030-4061-bc9f-b5f798effb7dn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Matthew Jolly @ 2021-01-27  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi All,

I've been attempting to automate configuration of pandoc within a docker
container using a generated defaults file.

I've seemingly got everything working, however I've been unable to trigger
citation processing using the built-in citeproc.

The manual suggests that it can be enabled using the following key/value
pair but this doesn't appear to work:
`cite-method: citeproc`

My previous configuration used `--bibliography
/working/resources/bibliography.yaml --citeproc` in the pandoc command to
achieve this.

My current generated defaults configuration, working except citeproc, is:

```
metadata:
  bibliography: /working/resources/bibilogrpahy.yaml
  csl: https://www.zotero.org/styles/vancouver-superscript
variables:
  title-page-background:
/working/resources/template_resources/titlepage-background.pdf
  link-citations: true
  table-row-highlighting: true
  title-page: true
  title: |
    Product \
    Operational Concept Document
  subject: Operational Concept Document
  nocite: |
    @smpte336m:2007, @smpterp210:2010
default-image-extension: .pdf
fail-if-warnings: true
self-contained: true
cite-method: citeproc
verbosity: WARNING
template: /working/templates/template.tex
toc: true
```

I am using pandoc 2.11.4.

What have I missed?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

* Re: Enabling the new citeproc from a defaults file
       [not found] ` <0b35e04f-6030-4061-bc9f-b5f798effb7dn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-01-27  5:56   ` Pranesh Prakash
       [not found]     ` <97c3e389-5c0f-4ad4-87ee-ec394d36f8aen-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Pranesh Prakash @ 2021-01-27  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Dear Matthew,
You also need to enable citeproc using either the `citeproc` or the
`filter` option in the defaults file.

```
citeproc: true
filters:
- type: citeproc
```

Using it with the "filters" option allows you to control the sequence in
which citeproc is applied vis-a-vis other filters.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Pranesh

@ 2021-01-27  6:53       ` Matthew Jolly
       [not found]         ` <6fca2e0c-561c-4a18-ac90-fec5522194c2n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Matthew Jolly @ 2021-01-27  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks for the advice Pranesh.

The pandoc manual suggests that:

```
# turn on built-in citation processing. Note that if you need
# control over when the citeproc processing is done relative
# to other filters, you should instead use `citeproc` in the
# list of `filters` (see below).
citeproc: true

```

Is this incorrect?

My read of this comment is that if you *just* want to enable citation
processing `citeproc: true` in the root (which I have tried and does not
appear to be working) is all that should be required, _unless_ you want to
control when citeproc processing is enabled. Is the manual wrong?

I'm having some issues with the JSONSchema validator that I'm using not
accepting TypeScript union types (and I've temporarily defined `filters:`
as a string in my schema as a result), so until I have a fix for that I'm
hoping to avoid calling it as a filter!

Regardless I appreciate the advice and will test/implement when I have a
chance.

Cheers!

@ 2021-01-27  8:28           ` Matt Jolly
From: Matt Jolly @ 2021-01-27  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Ah, Disregard.

Turns out my schema was wrong resulting in the citeproc key being placed
under variables instead of as a root key. All working. Thanks for the
insight Pranesh!

@ 2021-01-27 17:23   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-01-27 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Jolly, pandoc-discuss

citeproc: true

is what you want; or put 'citeproc' in the list of filters,
if you want control over the order in which the transformations
occur.

cite-method:

is used only to select between what would be --natbib,
--biblatex, or the default on the command line, and it only
affects LaTeX output.  This is confusing.
I'll try to improve the docs on this.