* "The extension pipe_tables is not supported for html"
@ 2021-10-26  6:42 jn
       [not found] ` <d2e886d8-e4e4-49a7-af86-8b336b7f9d41n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: jn @ 2021-10-26  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I use pandoc 1.7.5.4 in production for converting large md files, generated
from databases, to html.

When I try to upgrade to pandoc 2.x, I get the following error:

$ ./pandoc-2.14.2 --standalone -t html+pipe_tables test_input.md
The extension pipe_tables is not supported for html

Same is true for the extensions fenced_divs and bracketed_spans, which also
work fine with pandoc 1.7

OS is 4.19.205-gentoo-x86_64, pandoc was compiled from source with the flag
"pandoc:embed_data_files"

$ ./pandoc-2.14.2 --version
pandoc-2.14.2 2.14.2
Compiled with pandoc-types 1.22, texmath 0.12.3.1, skylighting 0.11,
citeproc 0.5, ipynb 0.1.0.1

* Re: "The extension pipe_tables is not supported for html"
       [not found] ` <d2e886d8-e4e4-49a7-af86-8b336b7f9d41n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-10-26  8:35   ` William Lupton
       [not found]     ` <CAEe_xxgYPz8nSAhifZO9xmv5M=QuHj=o9kpaWjG3VObgEmKMjw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: William Lupton @ 2021-10-26  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello,

I think that these extensions are associated with the input format
(markdown) rather than the output format (html). I guess previous versions
of pandoc must have been more permissive in this regard?

See below (and note that the extensions that you mentioned are all enabled
by default for markdown input).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
William

% pandoc --version
pandoc 2.14.1

% pandoc --list-extensions=markdown | egrep 'tables|divs|spans'
+bracketed_spans
+fenced_divs
+grid_tables
+multiline_tables
+native_divs
+native_spans
+pipe_tables
+simple_tables

% pandoc --list-extensions=html | egrep 'tables|divs|spans'
+native_divs
+native_spans

@ 2021-10-26  9:07       ` BPJ
       [not found]         ` <CADAJKhDmwj1GxgQKFcz2XpKo16=MFrgUX4t2zSLnwvQ_VEQB3g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2021-10-26  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I was going to say the same: +fenced_divs and +bracketed_spans are
associated with the input format (-f markdown) rather than the html output
format, where they don't make sense, and they are enabled by default for
Pandoc's Markdown both input and output.

@ 2021-10-26  9:33           ` jn
       [not found]             ` <16d832b0-765d-4bad-8974-702ef88c4b0an-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: jn @ 2021-10-26  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thank you very much, William and BPJ!

So it is just as simple: The extensions cannot be enabled on the command
line, because they are already by default. Just the message brought me to
wrong assumptions.

Thanks again - cheers, Joachim

@ 2021-10-26 10:13               ` William Lupton
       [not found]                 ` <CAEe_xxiQsD5=hY80pcDcZct2_5HmOxUS0rJVvxLsWW5TNwoe1w-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: William Lupton @ 2021-10-26 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

They can be enabled (or disabled) on the command-line but (because they're
enabled by default for markdown input) they don't need to be.

% cat pipe-table.md
| Right | Left | Default | Center |
|------:|:-----|---------|:------:|
|   12  |  12  |    12   |    12  |

% pandoc pipe-table.md --to=markdown
    Right Left   Default    Center
  ------- ------ --------- --------
       12 12     12           12

% pandoc --from=markdown+pipe_tables pipe-table.md --to=markdown
    Right Left   Default    Center

@ 2021-10-26 10:18                   ` jn
From: jn @ 2021-10-26 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

OK, I see - a misunderstanding on my side. Thanks again - Joachim

@ 2021-10-26 16:11           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-10-26 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BPJ, pandoc-discuss

The older version just ignored extensions that didn't make sense.
New versions give you an error. That's why you see a difference.