* Top level header lost
@ 2020-02-21 13:57 Dmitriy Krasilnikov
       [not found] ` <a9db644a-43b0-4b2b-9b80-7f34cb9694ba-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Dmitriy Krasilnikov @ 2020-02-21 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm trying to bind Header_1 to some docx style.

This sample Lua filter function should output a header level each time it
finds one:

function Header(el)
  print(el.level)
end

The source reStructured text code:
***************
Header 1 sample
***************

Text

Header 2 sample
===============

Text2

Header 2 sample
===============

Text2

In a command line this should print 1, 2, 2:
pandoc --lua-filter=rst2docxHead.lua -f rst -t json test.rst

1
2
2
{"blocks":[{"t":"Header","c":[1,["header-1-sample",[],[]

So, let's see how in converts to docx…

$ pandoc --lua-filter=rst2docxHead.lua -f rst -t docx -o test.docx test.rst
1
1

For some reason in this configuration the top level header is not processed
and seems to be directly passed to docx output as a document title.

* Re: Top level header lost
       [not found] ` <a9db644a-43b0-4b2b-9b80-7f34cb9694ba-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-02-21 17:42   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2sgj3x2f2.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-02-21 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitriy Krasilnikov, pandoc-discuss

This is because it's a convention in rST that the top-level
heading is the document title:

https://docutils.sourceforge.io/docs/user/rst/quickstart.html#document-title-subtitle

If you add `-s` to your `-t json` you'll see the difference.

So why the difference with docx output?  It's because pandoc
automatically enables standalone when you have a non-text format
for output (docx, pdf, etc.).

Dmitriy Krasilnikov <dmitriy.krasilnikov-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I'm trying to bind Header_1 to some docx style.
>
> This sample Lua filter function should output a header level each time it
> finds one:
>
> function Header(el)
>   print(el.level)
> end
>
> The source reStructured text code:
> ***************
> Header 1 sample
> ***************
>
> Text
>
> Header 2 sample
> ===============
>
> Text2
>

> Header 2 sample
> ===============
>
> Text2
>
> In a command line this should print 1, 2, 2:
> pandoc --lua-filter=rst2docxHead.lua -f rst -t json test.rst
>
> 1
> 2
> 2
> {"blocks":[{"t":"Header","c":[1,["header-1-sample",[],[]
>
> So, let's see how in converts to docx…
>
> $ pandoc --lua-filter=rst2docxHead.lua -f rst -t docx -o test.docx test.rst
> 1
> 1
>
> For some reason in this configuration the top level header is not processed
> and seems to be directly passed to docx output as a document title.
>
> --

* Re: Top level header lost
       [not found]     ` <m2sgj3x2f2.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-02-25 16:04       ` Dmitriy Krasilnikov
       [not found]         ` <120c0525-969a-495b-a031-a0bb8fdd26ba-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Dmitriy Krasilnikov @ 2020-02-25 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks for clarification.

How can this top-level document title be accessed with Lua script?

пятница, 21 февраля 2020 г., 20:42:44 UTC+3 пользователь John MacFarlane
написал:

> This is because it's a convention in rST that the top-level
> heading is the document title:
>

> https://docutils.sourceforge.io/docs/user/rst/quickstart.html#document-title-subtitle
> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fdocutils.sourceforge.io%2Fdocs%2Fuser%2Frst%2Fquickstart.html%23document-title-subtitle&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEZH9joZkO4IkzazpAZrKigOPD9mA>
>
> If you add `-s` to your `-t json` you'll see the difference.
>
> So why the difference with docx output?  It's because pandoc
> automatically enables standalone when you have a non-text format
> for output (docx, pdf, etc.).
>

> Dmitriy Krasilnikov <dmitriy.k...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org <javascript:>> writes:
>
> > I'm trying to bind Header_1 to some docx style.
> >
> > This sample Lua filter function should output a header level each time
> it
> > finds one:
> >
> > function Header(el)
> >   print(el.level)
> > end
> >
> > The source reStructured text code:
> > ***************
> > Header 1 sample
> > ***************
> >
> > Text
> >
> > Header 2 sample
> > ===============
> >
> > Text2
> >

> > Header 2 sample
> > ===============
> >
> > Text2
> >
> > In a command line this should print 1, 2, 2:
> > pandoc --lua-filter=rst2docxHead.lua -f rst -t json test.rst
> >
> > 1
> > 2
> > 2
> > {"blocks":[{"t":"Header","c":[1,["header-1-sample",[],[]
> >
> > So, let's see how in converts to docx…
> >
> > $ pandoc --lua-filter=rst2docxHead.lua -f rst -t docx -o test.docx
> test.rst
> > 1
> > 1
> >
> > For some reason in this configuration the top level header is not
> processed
> > and seems to be directly passed to docx output as a document title.
> >
> > --
> an email to pandoc-...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org <javascript:>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/a9db644a-43b0-4b2b-9b80-7f34cb9694ba%40googlegroups.com.

* Re: Top level header lost
       [not found]         ` <120c0525-969a-495b-a031-a0bb8fdd26ba-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-02-25 18:08           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-02-25 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitriy Krasilnikov, pandoc-discuss

It's the title field in the metadata.  See the docs on
lua scripts for how to access the metadata.