* Output of markdown to markdown is not equal to the input
@ 2019-07-14 14:50 Christopher Dignam
       [not found] ` <81dd41b1-f306-48e1-ae4d-7d7f8892d933-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Christopher Dignam @ 2019-07-14 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm looking to use Pandoc to strip comments from a Markdown document, but
it looks like Pandoc strips information when I run the following command:

pandoc example.md --strip-comments  -o example-rendered.md

example.md
<!--
- some example comment
- mention related issues (Github, Trello, etc.)
- with nesting and other stuffreviewers when you're ready
  + "Use your gut" to choose appropriate reviewers
  + expect your first response within 24 hours
-->

some arrow -->

[0]: https://example.com

example-rendered.md
some arrow --\>

This is what I expected the output to be
some arrow -->

[0]: https://example.com

Is there a way to make pandoc preserve the document?

* Re: Output of markdown to markdown is not equal to the input
       [not found] ` <81dd41b1-f306-48e1-ae4d-7d7f8892d933-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-07-14 15:59   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-07-14 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dignam, pandoc-discuss

This is just a difference in escaping. There isn't a semantic
difference between --> and --\>.

Pandoc adds the backslash escape because the --> is not part
of an HTML comment, and the escape ensures that it won't be
parsed as one.

Generally you should not expect that markdown -> markdown gives
identity.  Lots will change:  bullet list markers, indentation,
escaping.  The semantics should stay the same, though.