* Pandoc does nothing when converting file from markdown to latex
@ 2021-12-08 12:40 'John Sampson' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found] ` <e1c7427c-732f-4120-ae8e-8d7500799b66n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'John Sampson' via pandoc-discuss @ 2021-12-08 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I typed the command "pandoc myfile.md -f markdown -t latex -s -o
outfile.tex"
where myfile.md is in the same directory as pandoc,exe but nothing
happened. When I pressed "return" the caret went to the next line and
stayed there. I am new to pandoc - what am I doing wrong?

* Re: Pandoc does nothing when converting file from markdown to latex
       [not found] ` <e1c7427c-732f-4120-ae8e-8d7500799b66n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-12-09  0:54   ` Gregory Weber
From: Gregory Weber @ 2021-12-09  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Wednesday, December 8, 2021 at 7:40:35 AM UTC-5 sampso...-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org
wrote:

> I typed the command "pandoc myfile.md -f markdown -t latex -s -o
> outfile.tex"
> where myfile.md is in the same directory as pandoc,exe but nothing
> happened. When I pressed "return" the caret went to the next line and
> stayed there. I am new to pandoc - what am I doing wrong?

 Were you expecting some kind of terminal output?  Did not pandoc create
the output file "outfile.tex"?  Maybe you just need to open that file with
an editor to confirm it is there?

@ 2021-12-09 12:10   ` Sébastien Boisgérault
From: Sébastien Boisgérault @ 2021-12-09 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Works for me (Linux Ubuntu LTS, pandoc 2.16.2): your command creates a
outfile.tex latex file in the current directory.

AFAICT pandoc executable can be anywhere as long as it's the path where
your OS is searching for executable files.

Do you have an output when you type "pandoc --version" ?

@ 2021-12-09 16:19   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m25yrxeoo6.fsf-d8241O7hbXoP5tpWdHSM3tPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-12-09 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'John Sampson' via pandoc-discuss, pandoc-discuss

Do you get the prompt again on the next line? If so, that's
the expected behavior. Pandoc won't print anything to indicate
that it has succeeded, but you should now see the file
outfile.tex in your directory.

(By the way, myfile.md should be in your current working
directory -- it doesn't matter if it's in the same directory
containing pandoc.exe.)

@ 2021-12-09 17:16       ` 'John Sampson' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]         ` <5a2f6e40-1678-41e7-a486-1e9ac0da0317n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'John Sampson' via pandoc-discuss @ 2021-12-09 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

There is no prompt. I can find no output file. I would have thought if
there were something wrong with the input file there would be an error
message of some sort. If there is no indication of progress I suppose it
could just be working on the input file but if so it must be extremely slow.
As I was getting nowhere with Pandoc I have moved on to use something else.

@ 2021-12-09 17:27           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-12-09 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'John Sampson' via pandoc-discuss, pandoc-discuss

Normally pandoc is quite fast, but there are a few pathological
cases I've seen where the parser gets slow.  If you want to share
your source file (you could sent it to me privately), I could
take a look.

If you're not using pandoc markdown extensions, I'd recommend
using '-f commonmark' instead of '-f markdown'.  This uses a
faster and more standard parser.