* Security / Permission Questions
@ 2020-11-25 14:57 Ryan Axel
       [not found] ` <3dc9b238-1276-4c66-94b3-4b5c7faf0c9dn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ryan Axel @ 2020-11-25 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Good Morning All,

I wanted to get some insight into Pandoc, concerning any security issues. I
looked over the security section on the site but had a couple of questions:

1) Does Pandoc require any kind of special admin permissions? Such as when
writing or reading files?
2) Are any external programs or processes invoked? Or does it all stay
local after install?

I didn't really see any topics on this when searching so that seems like a
good thing, but wanted to clarify.

Thanks!

* Re: Security / Permission Questions
       [not found] ` <3dc9b238-1276-4c66-94b3-4b5c7faf0c9dn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-11-25 17:40   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-11-25 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryan Axel, pandoc-discuss

Ryan Axel <ryanaxel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Good Morning All,
>
> I wanted to get some insight into Pandoc, concerning any security issues. I
> looked over the security section on the site but had a couple of questions:
>
> 1) Does Pandoc require any kind of special admin permissions? Such as when
> writing or reading files?

Obviously you need regular read/write permissions to read or
write files.  For most conversions, pandoc won't write any
files except the ones you specifically request.  The exception is
PDF output, where pandoc will create a temporary directory to
do some processing.  If you're on Windows, you'll need write
access the the working directory for this. (On *nix or macos,
this will be created in TMPDIR.)

> 2) Are any external programs or processes invoked? Or does it all stay
> local after install?

No, unless:

- you use filters (then the filters are run in a process)
- you create a PDF

Note also that pandoc will retrieve some resources using HTTP
(e.g. if you specify a URL on the command line, or if
--self-contained is used).