* Support for Julia language in fenced code block attributes?
@ 2020-04-19 22:24 Dominique
       [not found] ` <336e638c-1c44-44cd-952b-771fa7187792-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Dominique @ 2020-04-19 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm converting markdown to PDF using the

--listings

option. I have fenced code blocks marked as Julia language:

~~~~{.julia}
>> using Pkg
>> pkg"activate ."
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(those are generated by a package called Weave.jl). The LaTeX generated
file looks as follows

\begin{lstlisting}
using Pkg
pkg"activate ."
\end{lstlisting}

As an experiment, if I change
{.julia}

in the original code block to
{.haskell}

the LaTeX file says

\begin{lstlisting}[language=Haskell]

Is Julia not currently supported? What does it take to support it?

Many thanks in advance.

* Re: Support for Julia language in fenced code block attributes?
       [not found] ` <336e638c-1c44-44cd-952b-771fa7187792-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-04-20  0:34   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2tv1ff10v.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-04-20  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dominique, pandoc-discuss

Is Julia supported by the LaTeX listings package?  If it is,
we can add support.

You can also try without `--listings`.  Pandoc has built-in
highlighting for julia.

@ 2020-04-20  1:02       ` Dominique Orban
       [not found]         ` <8CA79C9B-70B2-4176-84FB-3BD72051A708-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Dominique Orban @ 2020-04-20  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John MacFarlane; +Cc: pandoc-discuss

Julia is supported by way of the jlcode package: https://github.com/wg030/jlcode, which uses listings, and provides some support for unicode characters often used in Julia code.

I'm converting from a markdown document that represents input and output (as in a Jupyter notebook). The --listings option is useful here because input blocks are marked as {.julia} while output blocks aren't marked, and so can be displayed differently. You're right that code is highlighted without --listings but unfortunately, all code blocks look the same.

Thanks!

Dominique

@ 2020-04-20 16:33           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <m2imhup159.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-04-20 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dominique Orban; +Cc: pandoc-discuss

Pandoc supports the officially supported listings languages --
but obviously we can't support every available LaTeX package.
Sorry.

however, try this:

``` {language=Julia}
test
```

This should produce

\begin{lstlisting}[language=Julia]
test
\end{lstlisting}

@ 2020-04-20 18:10               ` BPJ
       [not found]                 ` <CADAJKhDMx9ED9GyvUgkznok8avQJdpyPfd=HL-4mq-P=UuPfBA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2020-04-20 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Can't this be used with `--syntax-definition`?

https://github.com/KDE/syntax-highlighting/blob/master/data/syntax/julia.xml

--
Better --help|less than helpless

@ 2020-04-20 18:11                   ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2020-04-20 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bpj; +Cc: pandoc-discuss

Loops, listings was a requirement. Sorry!

--

@ 2020-04-20 18:38               ` Dominique Orban
       [not found]                 ` <7C69ACD4-E47C-4EF8-89C2-990148A26981-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Dominique Orban @ 2020-04-20 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John MacFarlane; +Cc: pandoc-discuss

There's no need to support any additional LaTeX package. It suffices to output [language=julia]. Anyone using listings and Julia will be using jlcode or defining their own julia commands for listing. However, I'll try what you suggest.

Dominique

@ 2020-04-20 19:02                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <m24kteoua2.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-04-20 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dominique Orban; +Cc: pandoc-discuss

We can't in general output [language=XXX] for listings, because
listings language names are typically different from
pandoc-recognized language names and we need to do a conversion.
Our conversion table is based on what is supported by listings.
But I think the workaround I suggested will do the trick.

@ 2020-04-20 21:58                       ` Dominique Orban
       [not found]                         ` <58ACB64D-A695-401F-965C-B4D872852A52-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Dominique Orban @ 2020-04-20 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John MacFarlane; +Cc: pandoc-discuss

Your suggestion works. Many thanks!

Dominique

@ 2020-04-20 22:34                           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-04-20 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dominique Orban; +Cc: pandoc-discuss

Great! If you also need to create other output formats,
you could also use a lua filter to move the class to a language
attribute for latex output.