* table questions
@ 2019-10-26  3:06 IVO I WELCH
       [not found] ` <2cc03ec3-5acb-40b6-89c7-23945792481d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: IVO I WELCH @ 2019-10-26  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

pandoc 2.7.3:

[0] Are grid tables the most powerful of the choices of tables?  Does it
expose all features, or are there some others that require using a
different table input format?

[1] there is an odd feature that I have run into.

```
+-------------+----------+--------------+
|  Event      |  Prob    |  All-Equity  |
+=============+==========+==============+
| Rain        |   1/4    |     $60      |
+-------------+----------+--------------+
| Sun         |   3/4    |     $100     |
+-------------+----------+--------------+
```

colors the right cells in background gray when typeset in LaTeX.  could
someone please tell me what the rules are for this effect?  are there other
interesting effects?

[2] Is there a way to get a horizontal line into the middle of a table, not
just in its use as the table header separator?  (put differently, can one
enter a \midrule)

[3] I accidentally once triggered something that created an \fbox{} like
effect.  alas, I can't reproduce it now.  which feature is this?

help appreciated. /iaw

PS: I also just tried table.el mode as recommended in the pandoc guide.  I
think it is from 2001, and no longer works.  after specifying my table
parameters, emacs tells me that it is a wrong symbol type or something like
this.  is there a better emacs mode?

PS: Is there any progress on multi-column headers?

* Re: table questions
       [not found] ` <2cc03ec3-5acb-40b6-89c7-23945792481d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-10-26  8:05   ` Joost Kremers
       [not found]     ` <87o8y4dj8y.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2019-10-26  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Sat, Oct 26 2019, IVO I WELCH wrote:
> PS: I also just tried table.el mode as recommended in the pandoc
> guide.  I
> think it is from 2001, and no longer works.  after specifying my
> table
> parameters, emacs tells me that it is a wrong symbol type or
> something like
> this.  is there a better emacs mode?

table.el is part of Emacs, so it should work. If not, `M-x
report-emacs-bug'.

That being said, you can also use orgtbl-mode, which gives you
Org-style tables in non-Org buffers. I'm not sure if Org tables
support all of Pandoc's table features, however. And, the other
way around, I'm pretty sure Pandoc does *not* support all features
of Org tables. So you kinda lose something on both sides, but the
features that you do have may just be enough. The main advantage
is that table creation and handling is much easier in orgtbl-mode
than with table.el.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: table questions
       [not found]     ` <87o8y4dj8y.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-10-26 17:12       ` IVO I WELCH
       [not found]         ` <8f2ad8e1-4976-4b2f-8171-d667c9d639bf-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: IVO I WELCH @ 2019-10-26 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

thanks, joost.  good answer to my PS note.  alas, I still need the other
aspects.  on the PS note:

on my macos emacs, I see a built-in table-wixed-width-mode , but not a
table mode.  is this what you mean by built-in?  I also looked at the elpa
archive, but did not see a table mode in it, either.

the bug is then in the pandoc documentation, because it still points to
something from 2001, which I loaded and found to no longer work on a recent
emacs.  it should probably just be removed then, perhaps replaced by your
post.

On Saturday, October 26, 2019 at 1:05:42 AM UTC-7, Joost wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 26 2019, IVO I WELCH wrote:
> > PS: I also just tried table.el mode as recommended in the pandoc
> > guide.  I
> > think it is from 2001, and no longer works.  after specifying my
> > table
> > parameters, emacs tells me that it is a wrong symbol type or
> > something like
> > this.  is there a better emacs mode?
>
> table.el is part of Emacs, so it should work. If not, `M-x
> report-emacs-bug'.
>
> That being said, you can also use orgtbl-mode, which gives you
> Org-style tables in non-Org buffers. I'm not sure if Org tables
> support all of Pandoc's table features, however. And, the other
> way around, I'm pretty sure Pandoc does *not* support all features
> of Org tables. So you kinda lose something on both sides, but the
> features that you do have may just be enough. The main advantage
> is that table creation and handling is much easier in orgtbl-mode
> than with table.el.
>

> --
> Joost Kremers
> Life has its moments

* Re: table questions
       [not found]         ` <8f2ad8e1-4976-4b2f-8171-d667c9d639bf-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-10-26 21:09           ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2019-10-26 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Sat, Oct 26 2019, IVO I WELCH wrote:
> thanks, joost.  good answer to my PS note.  alas, I still need
> the other
> aspects.

Yes, sorry, I cannot help with that. :-(

> on my macos emacs, I see a built-in table-wixed-width-mode , but
> not a
> table mode.  is this what you mean by built-in?  I also looked
> at the elpa
> archive, but did not see a table mode in it, either.

Despite what the Pandoc manual says, it's not actually a mode,
that's probably why you're not finding it. You can insert a table
with `table-insert`. For further details, you can check out the
Emacs manual (`C-h i m Emacs RET m Text Based Tables RET` or
online at
<https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Text-Based-Tables.html#Text-Based-Tables>).

> the bug is then in the pandoc documentation, because it still
> points to
> something from 2001, which I loaded and found to no longer work
> on a recent
> emacs.  it should probably just be removed then, perhaps
> replaced by your
> post.

Yeah, the Pandoc documentation probably shouldn't call it a
"mode". "Table package" seems better, it's what's used in the
Emacs documentation. And a link to the official documentation
would probably be better.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: table questions
       [not found] ` <2cc03ec3-5acb-40b6-89c7-23945792481d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-10-27 19:04   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <87a79mqaas.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-10-27 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: IVO I WELCH, pandoc-discuss

IVO I WELCH <ivo.welch-xwz7R8GQi1g@public.gmane.org> writes:

> pandoc 2.7.3:
>

> [0] Are grid tables the most powerful of the choices of tables?  Does it
> expose all features, or are there some others that require using a
> different table input format?

Yes it has all the features.

> [1] there is an odd feature that I have run into.
>
> ```
> +-------------+----------+--------------+
> |  Event      |  Prob    |  All-Equity  |
> +=============+==========+==============+
> | Rain        |   1/4    |     $60      |
> +-------------+----------+--------------+
> | Sun         |   3/4    |     $100     |
> +-------------+----------+--------------+
> ```
>
> colors the right cells in background gray when typeset in LaTeX.  could
> someone please tell me what the rules are for this effect?  are there other
> interesting effects?

I can't reproduce this...nor can I think of any reason why you'd
be seeing this effect. Certainly nothing on pandoc's side.

> [2] Is there a way to get a horizontal line into the middle of a table, not
> just in its use as the table header separator?  (put differently, can one
> enter a \midrule)

No.

> [3] I accidentally once triggered something that created an \fbox{} like
> effect.  alas, I can't reproduce it now.  which feature is this?

No idea.

We should update the docs about entering tables in emacs.

* Re: table questions
       [not found]     ` <87a79mqaas.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-11-03 20:27       ` IVO I WELCH
       [not found]         ` <42330228-5e10-4345-b8ef-7f5e3f0942d4-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: IVO I WELCH @ 2019-11-03 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

thank you, john.

I think the gray typesetting originated in my redefinition of the verbatim
environment which colors the background gray for them.

I believe pandoc sees "$60" and decides to set it in a verbatim environment
(because of the \$).  It does not do this for other cells, because there is
no special character.

* Re: table questions
       [not found]         ` <42330228-5e10-4345-b8ef-7f5e3f0942d4-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-11-03 22:52           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <m2v9s0a7yq.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-11-03 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: IVO I WELCH, pandoc-discuss

IVO I WELCH <ivo.welch-xwz7R8GQi1g@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I believe pandoc sees "$60" and decides to set it in a verbatim environment
> (because of the \$).  It does not do this for other cells, because there is
> no special character.

No, it has nothing to do with the $.  It's because the contents
of the cells are parsed as Markdown.  In these cells you have a
4-space indent, so these are parsed as indented code blocks.

* Re: table questions
       [not found]             ` <m2v9s0a7yq.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-11-04 17:00               ` IVO I WELCH
From: IVO I WELCH @ 2019-11-04 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)