* First instance of author citation
@ 2022-03-15  3:01 Michael Becker
       [not found] ` <f5436afd-f684-4ae0-a8b4-3aa999b5a194n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Michael Becker @ 2022-03-15  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi there, I have a first-world challenge.  In APA styling the first
instance of citing an author's name or authors' name should list the full
name (date) and there after only list the last name or lastname et. al. in
the event of multiple authors. Pandoc does an exceptional job for the later
case, but not the former. is there any way, a flag or syntax, that I can
use to have pandoc populate the the full vs. truncated names? I understand
the processing overhead that this might entail, so a simple answer of No is
fine, but I thought I'd ask.

* Re: First instance of author citation
       [not found] ` <f5436afd-f684-4ae0-a8b4-3aa999b5a194n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-03-15  5:34   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-03-15  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Becker, pandoc-discuss

These things are controlled by the CSL style.
Are you using --csl apa.sty?  If you're using the default
pandoc style (chicago-author-date.csl), then you may just need
to do that.  If you're getting this result with apa.sty, then
we can look into the details of the style (which can be modified
to get the behavior you want).

Styles can be found here:
https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles