* pandoc creating folder with name that makes latex fail
@ 2020-05-07 14:33 Jason Miller
       [not found] ` <e448fa9c-3dfd-4eb8-8e06-01efa9c29384-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason Miller @ 2020-05-07 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Pandoc is used to generate a PDF from an R markdown document that has a
chunk that generates a plot using ggplot2 and a custom function,
progress.plot.  The chunk looks like this

```{r charts, echo=FALSE, fig.cap="Your progress curve"}

progress.plot(student)

```

The PDF is generated using a LaTeX engine.  I think it uses PDFlatex via
pandoc.  This is causing a problem that appears to be close to the pandoc
metal.

It seems like pandoc uses a temporary folder to store the diagram I
generate with ggplot2.  The name of that folder has as underscore.  This
means the path to the graphic file, a string that's used in the .tex source
file, has an underscore.  And the latex compiler doesn't like that.

    ! Missing $ inserted.
    <inserted text>
                    $
    l.142 ...de2020-05-06_files/figure-latex/charts-1}
                                                       \caption[Your
progress cu...

The "_files" in the latex log snippet, above, is the name of a folder
created by pandoc (or Rmarkdown).  I am getting a "Missing $ inserted"
error before the latex compiler craps out.  No PDF is generated and the
directory with the figure is deleted.

Is there a pandoc configuration change to take the underscore out of the
temporary directory's name?  Or is there any other workaround that will
allow me to generate figures to include in my R markdown document?

Thanks for whatever advice people can share.

* Re: pandoc creating folder with name that makes latex fail
       [not found] ` <e448fa9c-3dfd-4eb8-8e06-01efa9c29384-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-05-07 14:43   ` Paul M.
       [not found]     ` <CABoaWcXysCY8fPMXbZj7m3Nc_b763gnjyBGTm-AJNDt87+bARA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Paul M. @ 2020-05-07 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

If you're using this with RMarkdown (e.g. via RStudio) the problem most
likely lies in knitr or RMarkdown packages in terms of temporary
directories generated.

@ 2020-05-07 14:47       ` Jason Miller
       [not found]         ` <38a1639b-1f2f-458d-ab27-2c88968d88bb-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Jason Miller @ 2020-05-07 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks, Paul.  I'm new to pandoc, so I wasn't sure which tree to bark up in
my troubleshooting.  I'm posting a version of this question to the RStudio
community. Hadn't thought about knitr.  Will bark up that tree, too.

@ 2020-05-07 16:48           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-05-07 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Miller, pandoc-discuss

Agreed: pandoc doesn't create any directories of that form.
It creates a temp dir but uses the system's temp dir function
to generate the name, and it wouldn't look like that.