* Numerical citations -- prefix problems
@ 2020-09-02 15:44 JL
       [not found] ` <a3ea9b8f-518b-4ebf-becd-7f2cad550b10n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: JL @ 2020-09-02 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm trying to get prefixes to work for numerical citations (I'm using a
custom CSL but have the same problem when using a standard one), but they
get ignored:

[cf. @cite1, p. 12] ---> [1, p. 12]
[see @cite2] ---> [2]

I can work around it like this

[cf. [@cite1], p. 12] --> [cf. [1], p. 12]

but I would like a result similar to what would author-date citations would
look like

[cf. 1, p. 12]

Could somebody point me in the right direction? Thanks!

* Re: Numerical citations -- prefix problems
       [not found] ` <a3ea9b8f-518b-4ebf-becd-7f2cad550b10n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-09-02 21:48   ` Denis Maier
       [not found]     ` <c6259621-a343-97e1-9389-df77ed42cfea-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org>
From: Denis Maier @ 2020-09-02 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Maybe a bug? I've tested with nature.csl

citeproc-js in Zotero/Word gave me correct results, pandoc with
pandoc-citeproc didn't.

@ 2020-09-02 22:39       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-09-02 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis Maier, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

This is something to fix then.  A bug report on pandoc-citeproc
could help me keep track.

@ 2020-09-03  7:44         ` Denis Maier
       [not found]           ` <c5ccf476-9407-fed9-8a32-da0c4f34aa82-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org>
From: Denis Maier @ 2020-09-03  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John MacFarlane, pandoc-discuss

Ok.
Will you keep on fixing these kind of things in the light of a new
haskell citeproc being just around the corner?

@ 2020-09-03 16:32             ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-09-03 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis Maier, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

> Will you keep on fixing these kind of things in the light of a new
> haskell citeproc being just around the corner?

Well, maybe not.

Prefixes and suffixes do work with numerical styles in
the currently experimental new-pandoc-citeproc.

However, I'm not completely sure how they're supposed to work.

Trying with

[cf. @cite1, p. 12, and others]

In nature.csl, you get a superscripted

(cf. 1, and others)

with no locator (is that because of something in the style)?

In ieee.csl, you get

cf.  [1, p. 12], and others

with the prefix and suffix outside of the brackets.

In plos.csl you get

[cf. 1, and others]

again no locator.

Denis, are these correct interpretations of the styles, or bugs?