* Explicit figures?
@ 2018-10-03 18:54 Joseph Reagle
       [not found] ` <19229035-8453-fde3-5a82-2bc0a86907ee-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2018-10-03 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

If I have an image link in a paragraph by itself...

  ![caption](media/pixabay-dog-115078_640.jpg)

... when it is rendered it is done so as a figure with a caption.

However, if I chose to then link it somewhere, I lose the figure/caption.

  [![caption](media/pixabay-dog-115078_640.jpg)](http://example.com)

The [manual] tells how to prevent a lone image link from becoming a figure with a caption. But is there a way to force the figure/figcaption within a link?

[manual]: http://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#extension-implicit_figures

* Re: Explicit figures?
       [not found] ` <19229035-8453-fde3-5a82-2bc0a86907ee-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-10-03 19:29   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2018-10-03 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reagle, pandoc-discuss

You can't have a whole figure within a link.

We could think about adjusting the implicit_figures
extension so that it allows this kind of case too.
But probably better just to wait for things to be
cleared up with a block-level figure element:

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/3177