* Adding the highlight directive to the rST reader
@ 2020-02-13 10:30 Lucas Escot
       [not found] ` <9e025799-6d50-40a9-b8ab-a075437cb2b9-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Lucas Escot @ 2020-02-13 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello everyone,

I just implemented the highlight directive
<https://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/usage/restructuredtext/directives.html#directive-highlight>
to the pandoc rST reader.
This allows one to specify the default language to use when highlighting
literal blocks.
It is especially useful when writing rST in a literate agda or literate
haskell file, where it is undesirable to have to specify the language at
every code block.

.. highlight:: haskell

From now on code will be highlighted as haskell::

  data Tree = Leaf | Node Tree Tree

An other exemple too show how terse using literal blocks becomes::

  main :: IO ()
  main = putStrLn "Hello World!"

We can change the language at any point in the document.

.. highlight:: python

So this block contains python code::

  def main():
    print("OK")

An we can still disable having a default language:

.. highlight::

This directive comes from the Sphinx extended rST (which argueably is one
of the most popular use case of rST out here, see readthedocs.io),
this is why I am wondering *what is your stance on adding directives to the
pandoc reader?* (which are not specified in the docutils reference)

My opinion is that such an addition is quite reasonable, and most people
use rST with sphinx and are therefore accustomed with said directive
already.

You can see my implementation here: https://github.com/flupe/pandoc

If you all agree it can be merged, what is the process? Should I create an
issue mentionning the problem or just make a PR?

Best,
Lucas