* Singleton block construct with attributes?
@ 2021-08-25  8:23 Axel Rauschmayer
       [not found] ` <066d8f5e-ede0-4705-9f38-4add41cb7ff1n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Axel Rauschmayer @ 2021-08-25  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

For two filters of mine, I’d like to use a singleton block construct that
triggers them via a class. I was considering using a horizontal rule:

---{.pause}

Alas, that doesn’t work. What is a good alternative? If there isn’t any, I
can use the following syntax, but I’d prefer something that fits into a
single line.

::: pause
:::

* Re: Singleton block construct with attributes?
       [not found] ` <066d8f5e-ede0-4705-9f38-4add41cb7ff1n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-08-25  9:41   ` William Lupton
       [not found]     ` <CAEe_xxj-V3A-p31hUvuxy9WhJF_51-Lot_0R3zpnQGzHa-KuCg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: William Lupton @ 2021-08-25  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I thought "Aha! But what about
https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#extension-attributes?". However:

% echo '---{.pause}' | pandoc --from=markdown+attributes
The extension attributes is not supported for markdown

https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#non-default-extensions seems to imply that
these (including 'attributes') are all markdown extensions. What am I
missing?

@ 2021-08-25 15:20       ` Gwern Branwen
From: Gwern Branwen @ 2021-08-25 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

If you simply want some sort of keyword to plop in, why the obsession
with attributes? There are lots of things you could write. The thing
I'd immediately think of is writing a little div or span with a class,
like:

     $ echo '[]{.pause}' | pandoc --from=markdown+native_spans --write native
    [Para [Span ("",["pause"],[]) []]]

Now you just match on `foo (Span (_, ["pause"], _) _) = rewriteCode
...` in your API use.

--
gwern
https://www.gwern.net

@ 2021-08-25 16:14       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-08-25 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Lupton, pandoc-discuss

`attributes` is only supported for commonmark + variants,
including gfm and commonmark_x.

@ 2021-08-25 16:33   ` BPJ
       [not found]     ` <CADAJKhCHPhqJz_8b8EikbNoh_Ytyn5iPefS3cvkQA=tjD94nMw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2021-08-25 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

When I need a marker like this I use a code span, like

    `--pause`

``````lua
-- Look for a paragraph
function Para (para)
  -- With only one child
  if 1 == #para.content then
    local child = para.content[1]
    -- Which is a code span
    if 'Code' == child.type then
      -- Ignore it if it has a class .code, i.e. `--pause` is a marker, but
      -- `--pause`{.code} is "actual" code.
      if child.classes:includes('code') then
        return nil
      end
      -- If it is the marker return some block content
      if '--pauae' == child.text then
        return whatever()
      end
    end
  end
  return nil
end
``````

@ 2021-08-25 16:37       ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2021-08-25 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Oops. Typo on the last if line!

@ 2021-08-25 19:08   ` Axel Rauschmayer
       [not found]     ` <60bb4763-544c-4a15-b09c-d545aa60dcb1n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Axel Rauschmayer @ 2021-08-25 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks for all the suggestions!

With the right settings, some horizontal rule syntaxes do indeed work:

% echo '___{.pause}' | pandoc --from=commonmark+attributes

@ 2021-08-25 19:55       ` Axel Rauschmayer
       [not found]         ` <b77d6ced-e951-4fec-8bb3-5ad8ed1c76a4n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Axel Rauschmayer @ 2021-08-25 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss