* Could --biblatex use autocite instead of autocites so as to support numeric-comp style?
@ 2018-10-05  1:59 jiewuza
       [not found] ` <m2h8i19mrt.fsf-9Onoh4P/yGk@public.gmane.org>
From: jiewuza @ 2018-10-05  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

With --biblatex, this md file:
```
We are citing [@A1; @A2; @A3]
```

is converted into tex: (autocites version)
```
We are citing \autocites{A1}{A2}{A3}
```

instead of (autocite version)
```
We are citing \autocite{A1,A2,A3}
```

I did not notice the difference until I add numeric-comp style.

For autocite version:
```
\usepackage[style=numeric-comp]{biblatex}
We are citing \autocite{A1,A2,A3}
```
The result pdf is what I expected, it shows as
`We are citing [1-3]`.

While for autocites version, it shows as
`We are citing [1,2,3]`, not compressed.

* Re: Could --biblatex use autocite instead of autocites so as to support numeric-comp style?
       [not found] ` <m2h8i19mrt.fsf-9Onoh4P/yGk@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-10-05  2:40   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2018-10-05  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jiewuza, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I believe we use autocites because in principle each
of the citations could have prefix, suffix, and
locator, and this would be impossible to represent
with autocite. Of course, in the case where there
are no prefix, suffix, or locator, autocite could
be used instead, and maybe it should.  Does anyone
have opinions on this?

* Re: Could --biblatex use autocite instead of autocites so as to support numeric-comp style?
@ 2018-10-05  5:35     ` jiewuza
       [not found]       ` <m2d0sp9crm.fsf-9Onoh4P/yGk@public.gmane.org>
From: jiewuza @ 2018-10-05  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Or is it possible to make autocites support numeric-comp?
So that we can get all the benefits.

I found something at
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/114987/biblatex-supercite-with-square-brackets-and-grouped
but it is for supercite.

@ 2018-10-05 17:01         ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2018-10-05 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jiewuza, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm reluctant to make that kind of change in the
defaults.  But you can always create a custom template
that imports biblatex with this option and redefines
\autocites in a way that makes it behave like you want.

@ 2018-10-06 13:28           ` jiewuza
From: jiewuza @ 2018-10-06 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

But after all my efforts, I still cannot make autocites work as I want.

@ 2018-10-06 13:37           ` jiewuza
       [not found]             ` <m24ldz9owk.fsf-9Onoh4P/yGk@public.gmane.org>
From: jiewuza @ 2018-10-06 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

What I have tried is

I config autocite=superscript for biblatex
```
 \usepackage[sorting=none, style=numeric-comp,
   autocite=superscript]{biblatex}
```
This will make autocite work as supercite, according to biblatx document.

And then I copy the code from
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/114987/biblatex-supercite-with-square-brackets-and-grouped
```
\DeclareCiteCommand{\supercite}[\mkbibsuperscript]
  {\usebibmacro{cite:init}%
   \let\multicitedelim=\supercitedelim
   \iffieldundef{prenote}
     {}
     {\BibliographyWarning{Ignoring prenote argument}}%
   \iffieldundef{postnote}
     {}
     {\BibliographyWarning{Ignoring postnote argument}}
  \bibopenbracket}%
  {\usebibmacro{citeindex}%
   \usebibmacro{cite:comp}}
  {}
  {\usebibmacro{cite:dump}\bibclosebracket}
```

But it does not compress the citations.

@ 2018-10-07 17:57               ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2018-10-07 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jiewuza, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

jiewuza <jiewuza-9Onoh4P/yGk@public.gmane.org> writes:

> What I have tried is
>
> I config autocite=superscript for biblatex
> ```
>  \usepackage[sorting=none, style=numeric-comp,
>    autocite=superscript]{biblatex}
> ```
> This will make autocite work as supercite, according to biblatx document.

My suggestion was to redefine \autocites (perhaps in
addition to \autocite).

If you can define a macro that rewrites

\autocites{a}{b}{c}

\autocite{a,b,c}

then you'll be there, right?  If you need help with
that, the tex stack exchange is probably a better
place than here.

* Re: Could --biblatex use autocite instead of autocites so as to support numeric-comp style?
@ 2018-10-08  2:08                 ` jiewuza
From: jiewuza @ 2018-10-08  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I did not know how to define such a macro :)
But I will try, and ask for help there.

Thanks.

@ 2018-10-08  2:33                 ` jiewuza
       [not found]                   ` <m2va6d88wl.fsf-9Onoh4P/yGk@public.gmane.org>
From: jiewuza @ 2018-10-08  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Also I was rethinking what you have proposed:

```
I believe we use autocites because in principle each
of the citations could have prefix, suffix, and
locator, and this would be impossible to represent
with autocite. Of course, in the case where there
are no prefix, suffix, or locator, autocite could
be used instead, and maybe it should.  Does anyone
have opinions on this?
```

I think it should.
Even such a macro can be defined, it does not work
when there are prefix, suffix, and locator.

While on the other hand, it is common that there
are no prefix, suffix, or locator, and autocite is preferred.

@ 2018-10-08 17:07                     ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                       ` <yh480kwoqsfju9.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2018-10-08 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jiewuza, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm not an expert on biblatex, but the idea of using
\autocite{a,b,c} instead of \autocites{a}{b}{c} when
there are no prefixes, suffixes, or locators seems
good to me.

Does anyone see a problem with this?

I suggest you put an issue on pandoc's bug tracker
so this won't be forgotten.

@ 2018-10-09  2:35                       ` jiewuza
       [not found]                       ` <yh480kwoqsfju9.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: jiewuza @ 2018-10-09  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Done, #4960.

@ 2018-10-11 15:36                         ` Joost Kremers
       [not found]                           ` <87zhvk5wby.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2018-10-11 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: jiewuza

On Mon, Oct 08 2018, John MacFarlane wrote:
> I'm not an expert on biblatex, but the idea of using
> \autocite{a,b,c} instead of \autocites{a}{b}{c} when
> there are no prefixes, suffixes, or locators seems
> good to me.
>
> Does anyone see a problem with this?

Well, the biblatex manual says that "[t]he multicite commands
are built on top of backend commands like \parencite and
\footcite". That suggests to me that \autocites{a}{b}{c} is
actually equavalent to \autocite{a,b,c}, so it shouldn't be a
problem.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

@ 2018-10-12 16:28                             ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2018-10-12 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: jiewuza

If I followed this thread, I thought the gist of it
was that OP had seen, experimentally, that
\autocites{a}{b}{c} gives different output than
\autocite{a,b,c}.