From: John (Most modern computers would break if you stood on them) Mackin <john@ civil.su.oz.au>
To: rc@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Subject: Re: here strings
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1993 08:55:54 -0400	[thread overview]

[Me:]
    		for (f in *) mv $f `{tr A-Z a-z <<<$f}

[Malte:]
    Your [sic] lucky this worked because most (especially on older unixes) text
    utilities require their input to end in a '\n'.

(let ((high-horse 'on))

Normally, I'd keep this private, but since Malte chose to toss a dart at my
reputation on the list, I am replying to the same place.

I have been a Unix professional for over ten years, and I am certainly
N O T  `lucky this worked.'  I knew damn well that it would work.  I am
keenly aware of this historical development of Unix commands, and I know,
and have known since the day I first used it (let's see, must have been
on Sixth Edition in 1979) that "tr" is a plain _character-oriented_
command.  It is not a text tool, it is a character tool.  I know
you know that.  What I am telling you is that I always knew it.
There was not the slightest bit of `luck' involved.  If your tr
needs a terminal newline, your tr is busted, end of discussion.

)

OK,
John.