From: Arnold Robbins <arnold@cc.gatech.edu>
To: rc@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Subject: Re: Thoughts on a builtin read
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1993 13:26:30 -0400	[thread overview]

> >Alas, the commercial world is just now discovering Unix, and the universities
> >(at least around here) just want to Get The Next Paper Written using frame
> >or whatever.  Heaven forbid they should actually *use* an experimental, but
> >state of the art distributed system.
>
> Why would anyone who wants to write a paper want to use a research system?

It is my contention that much of the usability/success of Unix came from the
fact that it was *used*, and not just built and then mined for research
results, the way most university os's are.

I think if people put Plan 9 into production for day to day use,
including grungy things like writing papers, they might end up with
more productive environments for themselves. (This would be true of other
os's as well, eg Clouds here at GT.)

Maybe I'm wrong. But the attitude of "I just want to get my job done, I don't
care about elegance/non-elegance of my environment" just leads us to
DOS, Novell, and Windows NT. Yuck.

Arnold