* RC and GDB Blues
@ 1996-12-06 16:32 Mark K. Gardner
From: Mark K. Gardner @ 1996-12-06 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

Hello all,

I am having trouble running gdb with rc 1.5betadev on Solaris 2.5.1
either from the command line or from within emacs. When I run from
tcsh, gdb works fine. I am at a loss for where to start looking for
the problem. Hints anyone?

--
Mark (mkgardne@cs.uiuc.edu)
--

; gdb main
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it

Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
Cannot remove breakpoints because program is no longer writable.
It might be running in another process.
Further execution is probably impossible.
0xef7d725c in ?? ()
(gdb) quit
The program is running.  Quit anyway (and kill it)? (y or n) y

* Re: RC and GDB Blues
@ 1996-12-06 16:42 ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 1996-12-06 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

I've run it on Solaris 2.5.1, and didn't see tha tproblem.

But speaking of 1.5betadev, anyone think the glob routines should (via
a run time switch) work on utf-8?  Then 9term and sam users can fully
break with 8859-1.

* Re: RC and GDB Blues
@ 1996-12-06 17:29 ` Paul Haahr
From: Paul Haahr @ 1996-12-06 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark K. Gardner; +Cc: rc

> I am having trouble running gdb with rc 1.5betadev on Solaris 2.5.1
> either from the command line or from within emacs. When I run from
> tcsh, gdb works fine. I am at a loss for where to start looking for
> the problem. Hints anyone?

Did you compile with -lbsd?

* Re: RC and GDB Blues
@ 1996-12-06 17:32   ` Paul Haahr
From: Paul Haahr @ 1996-12-06 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Schwartz; +Cc: rc

> But speaking of 1.5betadev, anyone think the glob routines should (via
> a run time switch) work on utf-8?  Then 9term and sam users can fully
> break with 8859-1.

What's needed to make the shell utf8-savvy?  I supposed it's just ? and
[chars] that don't work right, right?

* Re: RC and GDB Blues
@ 1996-12-06 18:19     ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 1996-12-06 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Haahr; +Cc: rc

haahr@netcom.com (Paul Haahr) writes:
| What's needed to make the shell utf8-savvy?  I supposed it's just ? and
| [chars] that don't work right, right?

Yes.

* Re: RC and GDB Blues
@ 1996-12-06 20:18   ` Mark K. Gardner
From: Mark K. Gardner @ 1996-12-06 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schwartz; +Cc: rc

    > I've run it on Solaris 2.5.1, and didn't see tha tproblem.

I have discovered the problem. rc is not installed in /etc/shells and
hence I cannot have it as my login shell in /etc/passwd (tcsh is). I
instead "exec rc -l" from .tcshrc. GDB executes a program under the
shell specified by the SHELL variable (i.e., which was tcsh in my
case), which causes .tcshrc to be read, which causes "exec rc -l",
which causes a SIGTRAP. Adding "SHELL=<path to rc>" to .rcrc cured the
problem.

--
Mark (mkgardne@cs.uiuc.edu)