* Re: are there any patches which add ~ expansion to rc
@ 1997-09-19  7:51 Steve_Kilbane
From: Steve_Kilbane @ 1997-09-19  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jeremy; +Cc: rc

> While I agree that /u is an elegant approach to dealing with the ~user
> problem, the most common use of ~ is when referring to one's own
> home directory, which /u doesn't help with.

True, but then, the problem lies in the ~ semantics, which aren't
great. Just as /u/foo can point to user foo's directory, /me (or /m)
can point to the current user's. Naturally, this needs special
handling in UNIX (as in /proc, /fd), and can be put in $home/lib/profile
in Plan 9.

What's really annoying is that this is one of the few things that
DOS can handle, and plain ol' UNIX can't.

* Re: are there any patches which add ~ expansion to rc
@ 1997-09-18  2:27 arnold
From: arnold @ 1997-09-18  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc; +Cc: joe

> the title just about says it all.

I think I did it years ago, it's pretty easy.

If you use GNU readline with rc, I (long ago) added ESC-& (I think)
to do ~ expansion (in vi mode). Try that and see if it still works.
(I use 9term and es).
---
Arnold Robbins		Internet: arnold@gnu.ai.mit.edu

* are there any patches which add ~ expansion to rc
@ 1997-09-17 15:56 Joseph Skinner
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Joseph Skinner @ 1997-09-17 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

Hi

the title just about says it all.

This is one of the few things that I miss from bash and have noted that
this has been added to es.

What is the general view of this being part of rc.

Also where can I get the latest version of rc and it still being
actively developed.

Joe.

in real life: Joseph Skinner         |There's no such thing as a wizard
email: joe@earthlight.co.nz          |who minds his own business
       jskinner@es.co.nz             | - Berengis the Black
http:  www.earthlight.co.nz/users/joe|   Court Mage to the Earls Caeline