* Re: rc error messages from scripts
@ 1999-12-10  7:40 Byron Rakitzis
From: Byron Rakitzis @ 1999-12-10  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fosterd, rc

> Ah. silly me. How about changing the other messages and leaving
> 'segmentation fault' as a special case (ie, no argv[0])? would you
> welcome such a patch?

Let's see:

	; ash
	$ )
	Syntax error: ")" unexpected
	$ ; csh
	[leica@peanut]$ )
	Too many )'s.
	[leica@peanut]$ exit
	; bash
	bash$ )
	bash: syntax error near unexpected token `)'
	bash$ exit
	;

Okay, on my own linux machine it seems only bash puts argv[0] in for its
"private" error messages.

You can argue about whether this is right or wrong but I don't see a
compelling reason to make rc do the same thing as bash. As I mentioned
before, I think there is an argument to be made for rc's errors being
unadorned, as the user is in a sense engaging in a "private" conversation
with rc before any forks or execs have happened. Maybe this is stretching
a metaphor a little too far, but that's how I feel about these parser
error messages.

Byron.

[parent not found: <199912090829.AAA23488@peanut.rakitzis.com>]
* Re: rc error messages from scripts
@ 1999-12-09  8:10 Byron Rakitzis
From: Byron Rakitzis @ 1999-12-09  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bengt, rc

>scriptname:25

This seems like a really good idea.. and as far as I know Rob spent some
while reworking all the utilities so that the new format error message
could be emitted. No reason why we shouldn't do the same!

Byron.

* rc error messages from scripts
@ 1999-12-08 15:09 Bengt Kleberg
From: Bengt Kleberg @ 1999-12-08 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

Greeitngs,

When developing scripts I sometimes get the error message:

line 25: syntax error near '('

Would it be possible to change this? Or is somebody using this information,
and depending upon the layout?

What I would like is
scriptname:25 <and basically anything, say syntax error near '('

The reason for me asking is that I use wily, and wily will automagically
open the file on the right line if the error message looks like the new, suggested format.