From: "Decklin Foster" <fosterd@hartwick.edu>
To: carlos@texne.com
Cc: rc@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Subject: Re: environment again
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 01:55:31 -0400	[thread overview]

Carlo Strozzi writes:

> ; a=`{cat bigfile}
> ; echo $a |wc -c

Can you give a non-trivial example? This should be 'wc -c < bigfile',
obviously; I'm wondering what the real problem you're working on is
where you can't iron out the variable.

I'd tenatively say that I think a shell should provide you with enough
facilites not to have to ever make variables that big, but you might
come back at me with a doozy...

--
There is no TRUTH. There is no REALITY. There is no CONSISTENCY. There
are no ABSOLUTE STATEMENTS. I'm very probably wrong. -- BSD fortune(6)