From: "Decklin Foster" <fosterd@hartwick.edu>
To: rc@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Subject: flattening a command substitution
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 21:50:38 -0500

Is there a way to perform a command substitution and flatten it all at
once? For example, say I want to work with a pwd that has spaces:

; pwd
/home/decklin
; mkdir 'foo bar'
; cd 'foo bar'
; ls `{pwd}
ls: /home/decklin/foo: No such file or directory
ls: bar: No such file or directory
[nonzero status 1]
; ls ``(){pwd}
ls: /home/decklin/foo bar
: No such file or directory
[nonzero status 1]
;

Now, there are two ways I can get it to work: use a newline as the
ifs-value, or have a temporary variable:

pwd=`{pwd}
ls $^pwd

Neither strike me as being very elegant. The first option doesn't
generalize to commands with multi-line output, and having to waste a
variable seems wrong. Does anyone have a better idea?

--
There is no TRUTH. There is no REALITY. There is no CONSISTENCY. There
are no ABSOLUTE STATEMENTS. I'm very probably wrong. -- BSD fortune(6)