From: "Smarasderagd" <smarry@vex.net>
To: fosterd@hartwick.edu, rc@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Subject: Re: flattening a command substitution
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:39:49 -0500

"Decklin Foster" <fosterd@hartwick.edu> writes:
>Is there a way to perform a command substitution and flatten it all at
>once? For example, say I want to work with a pwd that has spaces:

Or worse, tabs.

>Now, there are two ways I can get it to work: use a newline as the
>ifs-value, or have a temporary variable:
>
>pwd=`{pwd}
>ls $^pwd

I usually do:

nl = '
'

somewhere at the top of the script.  I sometimes also have tab = '	'.
Later, if I want to ignore other whitespace:

ls ``($nl){pwd}

>Neither strike me as being very elegant. The first option doesn't
>generalize to commands with multi-line output, and having to waste a
>variable seems wrong. Does anyone have a better idea?

For commands with multi-line output, ``(){command} seems like the right
thing to me.  As others may have discovered, it still splits the output
if it happens to contain nulls, which I actually find rather useful if
I want to do things with the output of find with the -print0 option...