From: Stefan Dalibor <dalibor@caldera.de>
To: Tim Goodwin <tjg@star.le.ac.uk>
Cc: rc@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Subject: Re: Release candidate rc-1.6c4 available
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 12:35:03 -0500	[thread overview]

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 11:18:24AM -0500, Tim Goodwin wrote:
> A new beta release, which is also a release candidate for the next
> full release, is available from the usual place.
> I need your help to decide if this release candidate is a trick or a
> treat.  I'm using this version (with GNU readline) on RedHat, SunOS,
> and Tru64.  I've also built and tripped it on CygWin, Irix, NetBSD,
> and OpenBSD.

not very surprisingly, 1.6c4 builds and trips fine under OpenLinux
3.1.1, with and without GNU readline (this is
Linux 2.4.9/glibc-2.2.4/gcc-2.95.2).

QNX RTP 6.1.0 is a bit more problematic:
These are minor:
o utoa() in print.c conflicts with a library function (with different
  signature) - renaming rc's version of the function fixes this
o test isn't delivered as standalone program with this OS, so the glob
  test in trip.rc for many slashes fails - this can be fixed by
  changing the resp. line to `sh -c 'test -f '^...'
These are worse:
o setrlimit() fails to inherit limits to child processes, i.e.
  `limit coredumpsize 0; limit coredummpsize | cat' results in
  `coredumpsize unlimited' - IMHO this is a bug in QNX as other shells
  (bash2, pdksh) show the same bug
o the test for waiting for a killed process fails too - rc's wait
  exits w/o message (I didn't investigate this further)
Aside from this, rc seems to work O.K. under QNX RTP.

Stefan